- Ertel, B.D., T. E. McMahon, T. M. Koel, R. E. Gresswell, and J. C. Burckhardt. 2017.
Life history migrations of adult Yellowstone cutthroat trout in the upper Yellowstone
River. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 37:743-755. PDF
- Dockery, D., T. McMahon, K., Kappenman, and M. Blank. 2017. Swimming performance
of sauger (Sander canadensis) in relation to fish passage. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- Dockery, D., T. McMahon, K. Kappenman, and M. Blank. 2017. Evaluation of swimming
performance for fish passage of longnose dace using an experimental flume. Journal
of Fish Biology 90: 980-1000. PDF
- McMahon, T., L. Albertson, B. Kerans, and P. Taylor. 2017. Teaching the teachers:
a trout stream ecology course for science teachers. Presentation at World Trout Congress,
Bozeman, MT. Sept. 2017.
- Boyer, J., C. Guy, M. Webb, T. Horton, and T. McMahon. 2017. Reproductive ecology,
spawning behavior, and juvenile distribution of Mountain Whitefish in the Madison
River, Montana. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 37:189-195. PDF
- Boyer, J., C. Guy, M. Webb, T. Horton, and T. McMahon. 2017. Gear Comparison for Sampling
Age-0 Mountain Whitefish in the Madison River, Montana. North American Journal of
Fisheries Management 37: 189-195. PDF
- Uthe, P., R. al-Chokhachy, A. Zale, B. Shepard, T. McMahon, and T. Stephens. 2016.
Life History Characteristics and Vital Rates of Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout in Two
Headwater Basins. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 36: 1240-1253.
- Kenison, E. K., Litt, A., Pilliod, D. R., McMahon, T. 2016. The role of habitat complexity
in predator-prey dynamics between an introduced fish and larval salamander. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 94, 243-249.
- Kenison, E. K., Litt, A., Pilliod, D., McMahon, T. 2016. Larval long-toed salamanders
incur nonconsumptive effects to morphology and life-history traits in the presence
of introduced trout. Ecosphere, 7, e01258.
- Sedell, E.R., R.E. Gresswell, and T.E. McMahon. 2015. Predicting spatial distribution
of postfire debris flows and potential consequences to native trout in headwater streams. Freshwater
Science 34:1558-1570. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., R.G. Gresswell, M.P. Mayfield, and J.P. Naughton. 2013. Fisheries and
water quality response to Superfund remediation in SIlver Bow Creek and the upper
Clark Fork River, Montana. Final Reports to Natural Resources Damage Program, Montana
Dept of Justice, and Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
- Muhlfeld, C.C., S.R. Thorrold, T.E. McMahon, and B. Marotz. 2012. Estimating westslope
cutthroat trout (Oncorhychus clarkii lewisi) movements in a river network using strontium
isoscapes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 69:906-915.PDF
- Neudecker, R.A., T.E. McMahon, and E.R. Vincent. 2012. Spatial and temporal variation
of whirling disease risk in Montana spring creeks and rivers. Journal of Aquatic Animal
Health 24:201-212. PDF
- McMahon, T.E. 2011. Review of NMFS Draft Recovery Plan for the North Central California Coast Domain:
Northern California Steelhead, California Coastal Chinook Salmon, and Central California Coast Steelhead.
Report to Center for Independent Experts.
- Guy, C.S., T.E. McMahon, W.A. Fredenberg, C.J. Smith, D.W. Garfield, and B.S. Cox.
2011. Diet overlap of bull trout and lake trout in recent sympatry in Swan Lake, Montana.
Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 2:183-189. PDF
- Sestrich, C.S., T.E. McMahon, and M.K. Young. 2011. Influence of fire on native and
nonnative salmonid populations and habitat in a western Montana basin. Transactions
of the American Fisheries Society 140:136-146. PDF
- McMahon, T., J. Robison-Cox, J. Rotella, T. Horton, and B. Kerans. 2010. Trout population
responses to whirling disease epizootics in Montana rivers. Pages 195-202 in Proceedings
of the Wild Trout X Symposium, Sept 2010, West Yellowstone, MT. PDF
- McMahon, T., J. Robison-Cox, J. Rotella, T. Horton, and B. Kerans. 2009. A before-after,
control-impact comparison of the effects of whirling disease epizootics on trout population
dynamics in Montana rivers. Final report, National Partnership on Management of Wild
and Native Coldwater Fisheries, Montana Water Center. 112 p. PDF
- Muhlfeld, C.C., T.E. McMahon, D. Belcer, and J.L. Kershner. 2009. Spatial and temporal
spawning dynamics of native westslope cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi), introduced rainbow trout (O. mykiss), and their hybrids. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 66:1153-1168. PDF
- Muhlfeld, C.C., T.E. McMahon, M.C. Boyer, and R.E. Gresswell. 2009. Local habitat,
watershed, and biotic factors influencing the spread of hybridization between native
westlope cutthroat trout and introduced rainbow trout. Transactions of the American
Fisheries Society 138:1036-1051. PDF
- Muhlfeld, C.C., S.T. Kalinowski, T.E. McMahon, M.L. Taper, S. Painter, R.F. Leary,
and F.W. Allendorf. 2009. Hybridization rapidly reduces fitness of a native trout
in the wild. Biology Letters 5:328-331. PDF
- Burford, D.D., T.E. McMahon, J.E. Cahoon, and M. Blank. 2009. Assessment of trout
passage through culverts in a large Montana drainage during summer low flow. North
American Journal of Fisheries Management 29:739-752. PDF
- Zymonas, N., and T.E. McMahon. 2009. Comparison of pelvic fin rays, scales and otoliths
for estimating age and growth of bull trout, Salvelinus confluentus. Fisheries Management
and Ecology 16:155-164. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., B.A. Bear, and A.V. Zale. 2008. Use of an annular chamber for testing
thermal preference of westslope cutthroat trout and rainbow trout. Journal of Freshwater
Ecology 23:55-63. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., A.V. Zale, F.T. Barrows, J. Selong, and R. Danehy. 2007. Temperature
and competition between bull trout and brook trout: a test of the elevation refuge
hypothesis. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 136:1313-1326. PDF
- Bear, E.A., T.E. McMahon, and A.V. Zale. 2007. Comparative thermal requirements of
westslope cutthroat trout and rainbow trout: implications to species interactions
and development of thermal protection standards. Transactions of the American Fisheries
Society 136:1113-1121. PDF
- McMahon, T., and W.J. Matter. 2006. Linking habitat selection, emigration, and population
dynamics of freshwater fishes: a synthesis of ideas and approaches. Invited keynote
presentation to "International Symposium on Behaviour and Ecology of Freshwater Fish:
Linking Ecology and Individual Behaviour", Danish Institute of Freshwater Fisheries
Research, Silkeborg, Denmark. Aug 2004. Subsequent article: Ecology of Freshwater
Fish 15: 200-210. PDF
- Zymonas, N.D., and T.E. McMahon. 2006. Effect of pelvic fin ray removal on survival
and growth of bull trout. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 26:953-959. PDF
- McMahon, T.E. 2006. Review of NOAA-Fisheries Biological Opinion on Effects of Proposed
Central Valley (CA) Project Changes on Listed Fish Species. NOAA Southwest Fisheries
Center and Center for Independent Experts. PDF
- Munro, A.R., T.E. McMahon, and J.R. Ruzycki. 2006. Where did they come from? Natural
chemical markers identify source and date of lake trout introduction in Yellowstone
Lake. Yellowstone Science 14(2): 4-12. PDF
- Blank M, Cahoon J, Burford D, McMahon T and Stein O. 2006. Studies of fish passage
through culverts in Montana. IN: Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference
on Ecology and Transportation, Eds. Irwin CL, Garrett P, McDermott KP. Center for
Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC:
pp. 647-661. URL:http://escholarship.org/uc/item/7q19086f
- Jaeger, M.E., A.V. Zale, T. E. McMahon, and B.J. Schmitz. 2005. Seasonal movements,
habitat use, aggregation, exploitation, and entrainment of sauger in the lower Yellowstone
River: an empirical assessment of factors affecting population recovery. North American
Journal of Fisheries Management 25:1550-1568. PDF
- Watschke, D.A., and T.E. McMahon. 2005. A lightweight modification of the McNeil core
substrate sampler. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 20:795-797. PDF
- Munro, A.R., T.E. McMahon, and J.R. Ruzycki. 2005. Natural chemical markers identify
source and date of introduction of an exotic species: lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) in Yellowstone Lake. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:79-87. PDF
- Hartman, G.F., and T.E. McMahon. 2004. Aspects of fish reproduction and some implications
of forestry activities. Pages 143 to 168 IN T.G. Northcote and G.F. Hartman (eds.).
Fishes and Forestry- Worldwide Watershed Interactions and Management. Blackwell Science.
- Rich, C.F. Jr., T.E. McMahon, B.E. Rieman, and W.L. Thompson. 2003. Local habitat,
watershed, and biotic features associated with bull trout occurrence in Montana streams.
Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 132:1053-1064. PDF
- Munro, A.R., T.E. McMahon, S.A. Leathe, and G. Liknes. 2003. Evaluation of batch marking
small rainbow trout with coded wire tags. North American Journal of Fisheries Management
- Downing, D.C., T.E. McMahon, B.L. Kerans, and E.R. Vincent. 2002. Relation of spawning
and rearing life history of rainbow trout and susceptibility to Myxobolus cerebralis infection in the Madison River, Montana. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 14:191-203.PDF
- Nelson, M.L., T.E. McMahon, and R.F. Thurow. 2002. Decline of the migratory form in
bull charr, Salvelinus confluentus, and implications for conservation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 64:321-332. PDF
- Selong, J.H., T.E. McMahon, A.V.Zale, and F.T. Barrows. 2001. Effect of temperature
on growth and survival of bull trout, with application of an improved method for determining
thermal tolerance in fishes. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 130:1026-1037. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., and W.M. Gardner. 2001. Status of sauger in Montana. Intermountain
Journal of Sciences 7:1-21. PDF
- Jakober, M.J., T.E. McMahon, and R.F. Thurow. 2000. Diel habitat partitioning by bull
charr and cutthroat trout during fall and winter in Rocky Mountain streams. Environmental
Biology of Fishes 59:79-89. PDF
- McMahon, T.E. 1999. Status of sauger in Montana. Final Report to Montana Fish, Wildlife
and Parks, Helena. 94 pp. PDF
- Jakober, M.J., T.E. McMahon, and R.F. Thurow. 1998. Role of stream ice on fall and
winter movements and habitat use by bull trout and cutthroat trout in Montana headwater
streams. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 127:223-235. PDF
- McMahon, T. 1998. Managers as Shamans. Presidents Corner, The Outlet, Montana Chapter
American Fisheries Society newsletter.
- McMahon, T.E., A.V. Zale, and D.J. Orth. 1996. Aquatic Habitat Measurements. Pages
83-120 IN B. Murphy and D. Willis, (eds.). Fisheries Techniques, 2nd edition. American
- McMahon, T.E., and D.H. Bennett. 1996. Walleye and northern pike: boost or bane to
Northwest fisheries. Fisheries 21(8):6-13.PDF
- Dalbey, S.R., T.E. McMahon, and W. Fredenberg. 1996. Effects of electrofishing pulse
shape and electrofishing-induced spinal injury on long-term growth and survival of
wild rainbow trout. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 16:560-569. (Received
best paper award for 1996, NAJFM) PDF
- Magee, J.P., T.E. McMahon, and R.F. Thurow. 1996. Spatial variation in spawning habitat
of cutthroat trout in a sediment-rich stream basin. Transactions of the American Fisheries
Society 125:768-779. PDF
- Endicott, C.L., and T.E. McMahon. 1996. Development of a TMDL (total maximum daily
load) to reduce nonpoint source sediment pollution in Deep Creek, Montana. Montana
Dept. of Environmental Quality Rept. 103 pp.
- McMahon, T.E., S.R. Dalbey, S.C. Ireland, J. Magee, and P.Byorth.1996. Field evaluation
of visible implant tag retention by brook trout, cutthroat trout, rainbow trout, and
Arctic grayling. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 16:921-925.
- McMahon, T.E., and S.H. Holanov. 1995. Foraging success of largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides at different light intensities: implications for time and depth of feeding. Journal
of Fish Biology 46: 759-767. PDF
- McMahon, T. 1992. Potential impacts of the introduction of walleye to the fishery
of Canyon Ferry Reservoir and surrounding waters. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks
- McMahon, T.E., and L.B. Holtby. 1992. Behaviour, habitat use, and movements of coho
salmon smolts (Oncorhynchus kisutch) during seaward migration. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 49:
- McMahon, T.E., and D.S. deCalesta. 1990. Effects of fire on fish and wildlife. Pages
233-250 IN J. Walstad (ed.). Natural and Prescribed Fire in Pacific Northwest Forests.
Oregon State University Press, Corvallis.
- McMahon, T.E., and G.F. Hartman. 1989. Influence of cover complexity and current velocity
on winter habitat use by juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 46: 1551-1557. PDF
- Holtby, L.B., T.E. McMahon, and J.C. Scrivener. 1989. Stream temperatures and interannual
variability in the emigration timing of coho salmon smolts and fry and chum salmon
fry from Carnation Creek, British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic
Sciences 46: 1396-1405. PDF
- Matter, W.J., R.W. Mannan, E.W. Bianchi, T.E. McMahon, J.H. Menke, and J.C. Tash.
1989. A laboratory approach for studying emigration. Ecology 70: 1543-1546.
- McMahon, T.E., and J.C. Tash. 1988. Experimental analysis of the role of emigration
in population regulation of desert pupfish(Cyprinodon macularius). Ecology 69: 1871-1883. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., and G.F. Hartman. 1988. Variation in the degree of silvering of wild
coho salmon smolts migrating seaward from Carnation Creek, British Columbia. Journal
of Fish Biology 32: 825-833. PDF
- Hartman, G.F., J.C. Scrivener, and T.E. McMahon. 1987. Saying that logging is either
'good' or 'bad' for fish doesn't tell you how to manage the system. Forestry Chronicle
63: 159-164. PDF
- McMahon, T.E., and R.R. Miller. 1985. Status of the fishes of the Rio Sonoyta Basin,
Arizona and Sonora, Mexico. Proceedings Desert Fishes Council 13-15: 237-245.
- McMahon, T.E., and J.C. Tash. 1979. Effects of formalin (buffered and unbuffered)
and hydrochloric acid on fish otoliths. Copeia 1979: 155-156.
- McMahon, T.E., and J.C. Tash. 1979. Use of the chemical senses by threadfin shad to
detect food, predators, and conspecifics. Journal of Fish Biology 14: 289-296.
- McMahon, T.E. and B.Kynard. 1979. Avoidance of an antitranspirant by mosquitofish.
Southwestern Naturalist 24: 87-92.
- author/coauthor, Habitat Suitability Models (1982-85) for creek chub, channel catfish,
walleye, warmouth, spotted bass, coho salmon, and chum salmon. USFWS Biol. Rept. Series.