WebEx for MSU Students
...meet and collaborate with anyone
School can be hectic! Make your life easier! Schedule meetings or group sessions wherever you are, whenever you want, with WebEx, MSU's video conferencing service.
WebEx is a cloud-based Web conferencing system where participants can meet remotely, in real-time, using chat, video and audio, from your computer or mobile devices. Easily share your screens, files, presentations and ask poll questions. All you need is an internet connection and a computer or mobile device!
Student Account Details:
- Access WebEx Meeting Center at montana-students.webex.com (or orange login button).
- Log in with NetID and password.
- Meetings can include up to 8 participants.
- VOIP (computer audio) is used for a meeting's audio connection. This means that if you connect to a meeting on your desktop or laptop the audio can only be sent via your computer's built-in mic or an external mic attached to the computer.
- Spur of the moment informal meetings
- Scheduled meetings
- Group discussion/brainstorming sessions
- Any meeting where 1 or more participants needs to attend by phone
- Screen sharing
- Whiteboards and annotation tools
- Video streaming
- Text chat
- File sharing
- Instant polling
*Please note: Global calling is not available for meeting created by @montana.edu users.
Use the WebEx Meeting Center How To below to to learn how to login, schedule your first meeting, etc. OR search help.webex.com for more answers to your questions.
WebEx Meeting Center How To
1. Go to https://montana-students.webex.com.
2. Click the Log In link in the upper right of window.
3. Enter your NetID and password.
You are now logged in a ready to schedule your first meeting.
NOTE: The first time you log into WebEx you will be prompted to download Productivity Tools. This is highly recommended if you are a Windows user as it will allow you to schedule meetings, etc. directly from Outlook. Currently WebEx Productivity Tools are not compatible with Office for Mac 2016.
- How to schedule a meeting [PDF]
- How to schedule a meeting using the Quick Scheduler
- How to schedule a meeting directly from Outlook with Productivity Tools*
- How to schedule a meeting for another person
- Log in to the WebEx account
- On the navigation bar, select My WebEx > My Profile
- Click Preferences on right
- Click Scheduling options
- In the Scheduling Permissions box, type the email addresses of the users to whom you want to grant scheduling permission. Separate multiple addresses with either a comma or semicolon.
- Select Update
- How to schedule a recurring meeting
- How to update or modify a meeting invitation
- How to switch hosts during a meeting
* Office for Mac 2015 and 2016 currently does not support WebEx Productivity Tools.
- How to use the "Call Me" feature
- Enter Meeting by clicking on link in the WebEx invitation you received or by logging into WebEx (http://montana-students.webex.com)
- Click Connect to Audio
- Click Call Me option to have the meeting call you
- Enter your phone number, including the area code, in the field
- Click Call Me
Your phone will ring, answer to be connected to the audio for the WebEx
- How to connect to a meeting using your computer
You can use your computer microphone and speakers for audio in a WebEx session.
To connect to WebEx through your computer you will need a full duplex sound card and speakers or headset. To speak, you should have a microphone that is connected to your computer. For best results, we recommend that you use a headset.
- Enter Meeting by clicking on link in the WebEx invitation you received or by logging into WebEx
- Click Connect to Audio
- Click Call Using Computer
Please test connecting using computer prior to hosting/attending a meeting to ensure that your computer is able to connect via this method.
WebEx .ARF recording files can be converted to .wmv or .mp4 format using the Network Recording Player for Windows and a plug-in. ARF files cannot be converted on a Mac.
If you are a Mac user, please contact the UIT Service Desk for assistance (994-1777 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
To convert .ARF files:
Step 1: Download the Network Recording Player for Windows. Follow prompts to install.
Step 3: Convert the .ARF file
- Download the recording file to your local computer.
For details, see Download Recordings to Your Local Computer.
- Do one of the following to open the recording file on your local computer:
Double-click the recording file in your Windows File Manager window. The WebEx Network Recording Player automatically opens the file.
Double-click the Network Recording Player shortcut on your desktop. Then choose File > Open and select the recording you wish to convert.
The recording file will opens.
- While playing the meeting (or you can press pause) in the Network Recording Player,
select File > Convert > MP4 (MPEG-4 Format) or whatever format you wish.
The Convert to ... dialog box appears.
- Specify the location to save the file in the Save in field.
- Click the OK button at the bottom to use the default conversion settings OR choose
the settings you'd like and then click OK.
The file will begin converting immediately or do so at the time specified. The process can take quite awhile.
To check status of conversion:
You'll see the little icon below in the system tray. You can hover over it to see
the status of your conversion or double-click it which will show the same thing.
Log in instructions for all device types:
To host and attend WebEx meetings from your smart phone you must first download and install the Cisco WebEx application from your appropriate application store (such as app store, Google Play store or Windows Phone store).
To sign into the application follow the instructions below:
1. Tap the WebEx Meetings app or tile
2. Tap Sign In
3. Enter your email address (this is the one you specified in MyInfo)
You will be asked for your corporate website
4. Enter montana-studentswebex in the WebEx site URL field and click Next
You will be taken to a page titled MSU Web Login
5. Enter your NetID and NetID password
6. Click Login
You will be asked to Open this page in “WebEx”?
7. Click Open to open WebEx
Continued instructions for using WebEx on your mobile device: