A new report released by MT Department of Labor and Industry shows how many are moving into Montana with detail by county and by age.
Who are the newcomers and why are they coming?
People moving into Montana communities is nothing new. Newcomers have always replaced those that move away or pass away to stabilize or grow the total population of a community.
The fast growth of Montana’s population has drawn our attention to this decades long trend. This study provides research-based information about our new neighbors.
- To find a desirable natural environment (better access to the outdoors)
Click here for a one-page summary of the Research.
- To find a less congested place to live
- To take advantage of a slower pace of life
- To live in a smaller community
- To find a safer place to live
Learn more about movers here:
- Population and Housing data from MT Deptartment of Commerce
- Montana Labor Market Information from MT Deptartment of Labor and Industry
- Montana Population Trends: New Neighbors from Arizona
- Montana's Fastest Growing City Last Year? It Wasn't Bozeman
- Tax data says California and Washington were the top origin states for new Montana residents in 2020.
- More about the rural “Brain Gain” from University of Minnesota Extension Center for Rural Vitality