MSU Pesticide News - August 16th, 2019
2019 Pest Management Tour Offers Last Chance Credit Opportunities for Private Pesticide Applicators across Southwestern Montana
Cecil Tharp, MSU Pesticide Education Specialist
The Montana State University (MSU) Pesticide Education Program with assistance from the Montana Department of Agriculture (MDA) is offering the Pest Management Tour for pesticide applicators across southwestern Montana, Private Applicator Training (PAT) District 2, from October 7th – 10th. Private applicators within PAT District 2 should ensure they have attained 6 private applicator credits prior to the January 1st, 2020 deadline to avoid losing their private applicator certification. Applicators can assess their credit information with the MDA Pesticide License Search. Applicators can also contact their MSU Extension county office for license information. Private applicators may opt to attend only a morning or afternoon session for 3 private applicator credits; or both for 6 credits. Commercial applicator credits can be viewed on the last page of the 2019 Pest Management Tour agenda.
Speakers will deliver presentations on managing rodents, crop and rangeland weeds, weeds and wildfire, crop insect pest management, submitting pest samples for management recommendations, plant diseases, reading the product label, and understanding the Worker Protection Standard. Presentations vary by location (see program agenda). Representatives speaking on the tour include Dr. Cecil Tharp (MSU Pesticide Education Specialist), Dr. Tim Seipel (MSU Cropland Weed Specialist), Dr. Jane Mangold (MSU Invasive Plant Specialist), Dr. Kevin Wanner (MSU Crop Insect Pest Specialist), Mary Burrows (MSU Plant Pathologist), Tonda Moon (MDA District 1 Agent), Stephen Vantassel (MDA Vertebrate Pest Specialist) and Theresa Schrum (MDA District 2 Agent). The tour will cover six locations in three days with support from MSU County Agricultural Agents.
Tour Dates and Locations
- Dillon, MT
- Beaverhead County 4-H Building, 835 South Railroad; Pre-register by October 2nd with Beaverhead County Extension, Jessica Murray at (406-683-3785; [email protected]) or register online.
- Sheridan, MT
- Episcopal Church, 101-14101 West Poppelton Street, Pre-register by October 2nd with Madison/Jefferson County Extension, Kaleena Miller at (406-287-3282; [email protected]) or register online. No charge; Lunch provided.
- Anaconda, MT
- Donivan’s Restaurant, 211 East Park Avenue; Pre-register by October 2nd with Deer Lodge County Extension, Kimberly Richardson (406-563-4035; [email protected]) or register online. $10 fee; Lunch provided.
- Deer Lodge, MT
- Powell County Community Center, 416 Cottonwood Avenue; Pre-register by October 2nd with MSU Pesticide Education, Amy Bowser (406-994-5178; [email protected]) or register online. No fee; Lunch on your own.
- Helena, MT
- Jorgenson’s Inn and Suites, 1720 11th Avenue; Pre-register by October 2nd with MSU Pesticide Education, Amy Bowser (406-994-5178; [email protected]) or register online. No fee, Lunch on your own.
- Townsend, MT
- Broadwater County Fairgrounds, 4-H Building, 189 US Hwy 12 E; Pre-register by October 2nd with Broadwater County Extension Office, Allison Kosto, (406-266-9242; [email protected]) or register online. $15 fee; Lunch provided.
- Bozeman, MT
- Gallatin County Fairgrounds, 901 N. Black Avenue, Building #2; Pre-register October 2nd with Gallatin County Extension, Josh Bilbao (406-582-3280; [email protected]) or register online. $20 Fee, Lunch Provided.
- Livingston, MT
- Yellowstone Pioneer Lodge, 1515 West Park Street; Pre-register by October 2nd with Park County Extension, Melissa Tecca (406-222-4156; [email protected]) or register online. $10 fee for ½ day, $20 fee for full day; Lunch on your own.
Online Event Registration
For Further Information
See the detailed program information online, or contact your local Extension agent for local information. For any other questions contact Cecil Tharp, Pesticide Education Specialist, at the MSU Pesticide Education Program office (406)-994-5067, [email protected].