Hay Certification

Teton County Extension Agent, Jenn Swanson, is certified to administer the Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage Program on behalf of the Montana Department of Agriculture.

If you would like to have your hay certified:

  • Notify the Teton County Extension office 7 days before you need to cut your hay/straw.
  • We will need:
    • Contact information
    • Field location as we will need access to your field
  • Hay/Straw must be standing in order to be certified.
  • Cost-prices may vary:
    • $4.50 per acre
    • Twine $50.00 per box
    • Tags $50.00 per bag


hay certfication tagshay certification twine









Weed Seed Free Forage Required on Public Lands

Noxious weeds have a destructive impact on Montana's landscape, displacing native plant species, increasing soil erosion, and decreasing wildlife habitat as well as compromising recreational values.

Preventing the spread of noxious weeds into our pristine back country is vital. Certified noxious weed seed free forage is required when horses or pack animals are used on public land in Montana. Government agencies and public utilities also are required to use weed free mulches, bedding materials and erosion control barriers in their work.

Montana Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage Program