Materials Science MS
The Master’s of Science program in Materials Science provides students from a broad background of physical science and engineering disciplines with the opportunity to earn an Master’s degree in Materials Science. Students in the MS program will be required to take the full complement of Materials Science foundation courses being offered in a student's first year of the program (20 credits) and then additional, elective courses in their second year to complete the remaining credit requirements (30 total).
Fall 2024 Application Information
Applications for Fall of 2024 can be sumbitted through the portal in September of 2023.
Priority is given to applications that are in our office by January 15th, 2024. Applications received after January 15th, are eligible for acceptance if spaces are available.
Mandatory---All applicants must provide a transcript that contains a legend/key of your grading system (point scale and what each grade means) to be considered to our programs.
Admission decisions are determined by review of applicant's transcripts, personal statement, letters of recommendation, research experience, and strength of undergraduate background. There are no spring admissions.
The following criteria should be used as a guide to help you as you apply.
- Undergraduate GPA must be 3.0 or above on a 4.0 point scale.
- GRE scores are NOT required.
- Your personal statement should include your short term academic goals and long term professional goals and why the MS program is a good fit for you. Include in your statement, any research you experienced as an undergraduate and the names of 3 professors in the Materials Science program you would like to research with and why.
- You do not need to contact faculty to apply or be accepted into the program.
- Review of applications begin in early January and continues until our class is full. Priority is given to early applicants.
- Applicants will be notified about acceptance and financial awards no later than April 1st. Completed applications should be in our office by January 15th. Applications received after January 15th are still eligible for acceptance if space is available, however, no waivers will be provided.
- There is no support available for a first year MS student in the program.