The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) manages all functions related to sponsored programs at Montana State University or any activity, research or otherwise, that is funded by an external source such as a federal, state, or private organization.
The staff of OSP, comprised of professional Fiscal Managers and Grant Specialists, takes a comprehensive managerial approach and engages in the award life cycle from the time a funding source is identified to the close out of a grant or award.
In fiscal year 2016, MSU opened 600 new sponsored program grants and had $118 million in research expenditures.
The OSP staff assumes all financial, reporting, compliance, auditing and related tasks in a proactive spirit that alleviates the administrative workload for researchers so that they may focus on what matters most, their research agenda. The organization of OSP breaks down as shown below.
Unless otherwise noted, OSP staff members are located in 328 Montana Hall. Staff members can be reached at (406) 994-2381 and at the direct lines listed below.
The Proposal Services staff are available to work extensively and individually with PIs to meet their proposal preparation needs and to connect them with other resources on campus through the MSU Research Network. Contact the Proposal Services staff if you are faculty, staff, or student and are interested in the following:
- Locating funding for a project
- Assistance with a grant proposal submission
- Information and/or assistance with budgetary items
- Connecting with other researchers for interdisciplinary collaborations
- Review of a successful proposal sample or having your grant reviewed
- Registering with a funding agency
- Grant and research related training and workshops
- Submitting to a limited submission opportunity
- Getting help with compliance issues such as human subjects, use of animals, or controlled substances
To learn more about proposal services available to you, please visit our Proposal Services at MSU page.
Elizabeth K. Brock
Tel: (406) 994-4975
Email: [email protected]
Fiscal managers are available to help in the management of awards, specifically, PIs can expect to receive assistance with the following:
- Review of a proposal before submission
- Setting up a grant account
- Clarifying fiscal and managerial responsibilities of PI's
- Managing resource expenditures including invoicing and reporting
- Questions about your grant funded project
- Transferring a grant from another institution
- Successfully closing out a grant
Fiscal managers perform a wide range of grant administration responsibilities. Each Fiscal Manager typically has an assigned portfolio of departmental clients as well as a specific area of agency expertise. Fiscal managers primarily provide post-award services but also assist PIs on proposals.
Assistant Director and Fiscal Manager
Assistant Director of Finance and Fiscal Manager
Fiscal and Business Manager
Senior Fiscal Manager
Subaward Manager & Fiscal Manager for Western SARE
Senior Fiscal Manager
Director and Fiscal Manager
Assistant Director, Information Technology
OSP Manager of IT Systems