Outdoor Program Request
The below Outdoor Program Request Form must be completed and approved to hold an event or program in an outdoor area of campus. Please view the MSU campus map and provide us with a DETAILED description of the area you wish to use for your event/program. Feel free to use descriptions that might include statements like, "…on the lawn south of Hannon Hall…" or "…on the concrete walkway through campus in the area just behind Montana Hall…"
This event/program DOES NOT include plans to serve freshly-made or pre-packaged food or beverages of any kind then you may submit this request as few as three business days before the proposed event/program.
If your event involves the distribution of food or beverages including pre-packaged food (candy) or bottled water, this request must be submitted at least two (2) full weeks ahead of the event date. Otherwise, we may not be able to consider the request.
This form is for APPROVAL AND NOTIFICATION purposes only; it does not serve as a reservation. Use of space is on a first-come, first-served basis. You must wait to receive your final event approval email before moving forward with your event/program in an outdoor area of this campus.
Outdoor Programming Policy
- To use any outdoor area of this campus an "Outdoor Program Request Form" must have been filed and approved through the Office of Activities and Engagement. Any events/programs hosted on campus outdoor space without prior approval may be shut down immediately.
- Common hour exam schedules must always be checked. No programming should be done during common hour exams.
- Due to classes, events/programs with amplified sound will ONLY be allowed approved on campus Monday through Friday from noon to 1 pm on the Centennial Mall and the Hannon lawn area. AMPLIFIED SOUND IS NOT PERMITTED IN ANY OTHER LOCATION AT ANY OTHER TIME DURING THE WEEK!
- Any event/program that requires digging holes or driving any stakes into the ground (no matter how shallow) must receive explicit permission from the FACILITIES SERVICES approver and event/program organizers may be subject to a fee to have utilities located at the site of their choice.
- If your approved event includes serving food (even pre-packaged candy) or beverages to the public, per State of Montana food regulations, you must contact Toots Taszut, MSU’s Registered Sanitarian, within ONE WEEK of your event, to discuss food safety training and to apply for a Temporary Food Permit. Contact information: edu.montana@stoot or call 406.994.6455.
- The sale of ANY ITEMS in outdoor areas on the MSU campus is expressly forbidden.
If you are copying and pasting from a word document, you may have difficulties submitting this form.