Information for Horatio Alger and Hilleman Scholars
Montana State University is pleased to partner with the Dennis & Phyllis Washington Foundation and the Horatio Alger Scholar Association, by offering a Hilleman Scholarship to 2019 Horatio Alger Scholars who successfully complete the online application and enroll at MSU-Bozeman for the 2019-2020 academic year. Applications must be complete on or before June 6, 2019. Applications received prior to this time are appreciated.
Through this joint effort, recently admitted Horatio Alger Scholars who apply to become Hilleman Scholars will receive all the privileges (and expectations) of the Hilleman Scholars Program. To serve as many students as possible fitting our eligibility criteria, Hilleman Scholar Program scholarships cannot be "stacked" or combined with other scholarship monies such as those provided by the Horatio Alger Scholars Program.
The amounts below are representative of the 2018-2019 academic year scholarship. This table will be subject to change when new scholarship funds are allocated. We anticipate as similar funding structure for 2019-2020 academic year.
Scholarship funds and experiences include, but are not limited to:
|Academic Year||Total Funding for Hilleman/Horatio Alger Scholars|
*Remainder of Horatio Alger scholarship will be awarded, in final academic year. The number above will be reduced if a student does not graduate in 4-years.
- $2,000 stipend for attending the Summer Success Academy ($1,000 stipend and $1,000 to be applied to your fall semester tuition)
- A $500 bonus applied to your university account for earning a 3.0 GPA or greater during the Summer Success Academy for math and US 210 (Education, the World of Work & You) courses completed.
- An additional $1,500 could be earned through our partnership with the MESA program by tripling $500 in savings (Scholars may choose to apply their $500 bonus here). All MESA program eligibility and guidelines must be met.
- $3,000 towards the cost of a faculty/department led study abroad experience during the junior year
- Leadership development
- Peer mentoring
- Internship placements
- Intensive career development support
- Alumni mentoring
- Projects designed to advance citizenship and giving back to our Montana communities.
Applications are due no later than Thursday, June 6, 2019.
Questions? Please call us at 406.994.7627.
We look forward to receiving and reviewing your application!
Please note: Horatio Alger Scholars are not required to submit a letter of recommendation from their high school counselor, teacher, or coach. Given that you are a Horatio Alger Scholar, we know you are impressive, and we want you to also become a Hilleman Scholar!