John Graves, EdD
Lead Faculty and Associate Director
Reid Hall Room 449, MSU, Bozeman
Selected Honors, Awards, and Public Outreach/Service:• MSU Excellence in Online Teaching Award, 2012
• Recognized and invited to participate in the BEST PRACTICES Gallery Walk at the XLi Extended Learning Institute, 2010 & 2011
• Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics and Science, 1996
Education:• EdD Curriculum and Instruction, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, 2002
• M.S. in Curriculum and Instruction, Science Emphasis, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, 1987
• B.S. in Elementary Education, Eastern Montana College, Billings, MT, 1977
Interests:John Graves is a nearly 40 year educator. He has 30 years experience as a middle school teacher during which time he taught 6th-8th grade science as well as 8th grade language arts. He began teaching at the university level in 1988 and has done adjunct and full-time teaching ever since. He began teaching in the MSSE Program when it began in 1996 and has been full time since 2008. His online teaching experience began in the mid 1990s. His professional passions include online teaching, classroom research, teacher efficacy, NGSS and teacher professional development.
Selected Publications:• Gustave E Nollmeyer, Lynn Kelting-Gibson & C. John Graves. Mapping the Domain of Subject Area Integration: Elementary Educators’ Descriptions and Practices. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research, 2016. http://www.ijlter.org/index.php/ijlter/issue/view/35
• Carrie Taylor and C. John Graves. Tried and True: Soil is more than just dirt. Science Scope, April 2010. Co-authored with Carrie Taylor.
• C. John Graves. Elk Habitat: A Case Study of Science Inquiry. The Science Teacher, November 2009.
• C. Graves. Action Research as a Professional Development Strategy. AR Expeditions available on-line at http://arexpeditions.montana.edu/docs/articles.php. 2004.
• Brody, M, W. Tomkeiwicz & C. Graves. Park Visitor's Understanding, Values and Beliefs Related to Their Experience at Midway Geyser Basin, Yellowstone National Park, USA. International Journal of Science Education. Special Edition: Perspectives on Environmental Education-related Research in Science Education, vol. 24, no. 11, 1119-1141, 2002.
Activities:• Executive Director Montana Science Teachers Association, 2011-2017
• President Montana Association of Presidential Awardees, 2012-2015
• District XV Director, National Science Teachers Association, 2010-2013
• Montana Science Teachers Association Newsjournal Editor, 2006-2016