Masters of Nursing (MN) Degree
BSN to MN Distance Graduate Education
Graduate education leads to exciting career opportunities and prepares students for a bright and fulfilling future. The MN graduate degree allows successful graduates to make important contributions to nursing through advanced clinical expertise, leadership, and teaching.
Successful graduates with MN degrees have become:
Chief Nursing Officers (CNOs)
Magnet Status Coordinators
Quality Improvement Coordinators
The MN degree, established in 1957, prepares graduates to meet the educational eligibility requirements to sit for the national certification examination as Clinical Nurse Leaders (CNL). A Certificate in Nursing Education can be taken concurrently with the MN degree. The MN graduate degree program is fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Synopsis: All nursing courses are taught by College of Nursing faculty using distance delivery methods. Students complete their clinical education in or near their home locale when possible. MSU College of Nursing faculty are recognized nationally for their broad and wide-ranging expertise.
Professional Project: Each student completes a MN Professional Project developed in collaboration with a faculty chairperson and committee. Examples of exciting and innovative student projects include: assessment of medical errors on a medical surgical unit, improving communication between patients and care team – the foundation for patient satisfaction, and developing a cardiac services nurse residency program.
Distance Graduate Program: All graduate courses are offered online with teleconference and video conference used to supplement content. See teaching methods for more information. Travel to Bozeman is required at the beginning of each Fall semester.
Technical Requirements: Proficiency with and access to a computer with Internet capabilities is required for graduate students who are admitted to the program: refer to Technical Requirements (pdf).
Complete and submit an application online to the MSU Graduate School at https://www.applyweb.com/msug/ Note: after creating an account, at the bottom of page 1 of the application, click “Masters Degree” for Educational Goal, then, on page 2, click “Master of Nursing – BSN to MN”.
- Application Deadline is March 15th
Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from a nationally accredited upper division program, which included supervised clinical practice in a variety of nursing settings, including community/public health and management.
- Successful completion of undergraduate courses in physical assessment, community/public health, research, and statistics (which included inferential statistics).
- Current unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse. If clinical educational experiences are to be completed in Montana, licensure in Montana is required.
- Favorable recommendation from the College of Nursing admissions committee.
- TOEFL score of 580 or computer equivalent, if applicable.
Clinical experience is not required for the BSN to MN degree.
MN Degree Program of Study
An overall 3.0 GPA is required for graduation with a Masters of Nursing degree
- Estimated Expenses
- Current MSU Graduate Tuition – scroll down to Graduate Cost of Attendance.
- MSU Fee Schedule
- Graduate Nursing Program Fee: $55.10 per credit hour for Academic Years 2015-2016
This fee is used to offset additional costs inherent in clinically-based graduate education such as teaching models, simulation equipment, specialized computer programs, and travel to arrange and supervise clinical education across the state. Fees also are used to replace and upgrade the interactive video equipment used for distance delivery of graduate courses.
- Graduate Nursing Program Fee: $55.10 per credit hour for Academic Years 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
- International Students
Teaching or research assistantships may be available to selected graduate students. Nurse Faculty Loan Program funds may be available to students willing to commit to four years of teaching fulltime upon graduation. Additional information can be found in the Graduate Scholarship Information (PDF).
Interested in Non-degree Graduate Coursework?
Facts to consider - Non-degree Graduate Coursework Information Guide