- Consistent enforcement of campus parking policies and regulations helps contribute to an equitable system for all members of the university community. Occasionally, extenuating circumstances may be the basis for an appeal of a parking citation. MSU has a Parking Appeals Committee composed of faculty, staff, and student members appointed by the Vice President for Administration that will review legitimate appeals.
- The appeals process is not an alternative to full compliance with MSU parking regulations.
issues are NOT legitimate grounds for an appeal and will not be referred to the appeals board:
- A citation will not be reduced to a warning solely because it is the recipient's first citation.
- Unfamiliarity with University Parking Regulations. It is your responsibility to know
campus parking regulations and plan ahead.
- Parking illegally for a short time.
- Failure to take note of properly signed and marked areas.
- Lost citations do not alleviate the responsibility to address and pay a citation.
- Inability to pay a citation. We offer printable $5 day passes valid in SB, F, and
as well as $4 hourly and $10 day parking in the garage. These passes are far more
afforadable than a citation fine.
If the reason for your appeal is outside of the list above, you may be submit your
citation for review
online by following the links below. All appeals must be filed by the date designated on the citation.
If you have difficulties appealing a citation online call the University Police at 994-1723 for assistance.
"I am a student/staff/faculty with Montana State University and I have a university ID number." Click here.
"I am a visitor with Montana State University and I do not have a university ID number." Click here.
Fines upheld by the Parking Appeals Committee must be paid within seven days. Failure
to do so will constitute a second offense also subject to a late fee. Unpaid citations will be
sent to collections after 60 days and collection fees may apply. The University is authorized by
Montana statute to withhold the amount of any unpaid parking fines from any amount owed
by any student, employee or faculty member. Student transcripts may also be held for unpaid
parking fines, and unpaid fines may be added to student accounts for collection purposes.