Consistent enforcement of campus parking policies and regulations helps contribute to an equitable system for all members of the university community. Occasionally, extenuating circumstances may be the basis for an appeal of a parking citation. MSU has a Parking Appeals Committee composed of faculty, staff, and student members appointed by the Vice President for Administration that will review legitimate appeals.
The appeals process is not an alternative to full compliance with MSU parking regulations. The following issues are NOT legitimate grounds for an appeal and will not be referred to the appeals board:
- A citation will not be reduced to a warning solely because it is the recipient's first citation.
- Unfamiliarity with University Parking Regulations. It is your responsibility to know
campus parking regulations and plan ahead.
- Parking illegally for a short period of time.
- Failure to take note of properly signed and marked areas.
- Lost citations. The fact that a citation exists is prima facie evidence that it was placed on the vehicle.
- Inability to pay a citation.
If you choose to appeal your citation, it must be filed online at montana.edu/parking/appeals.html within 10 calendar days of the citation issue date. Citations upheld by the Parking Appeals Board must be paid within 10 calendar days of the appeal decision to avoid additional fees.
In-person and third party appeals are typically not accepted.
If the reason for your appeal is outside of the list above, you may be submit your
citation for review
by following the links below. All appeals must be filed by the date designated on the citation.
If you experience technical difficulties while attempting to appeal a citation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fines upheld by the Parking Appeals Committee must be paid within ten days.
- Failure to do so will constitute a second offense also subject to a late fee.
- Unpaid citations will be sent to collections after 60 days and collection fees may apply.
- The University is authorized by Montana statute to withhold the amount of any unpaid parking fines from any amount owed by any student, employee or faculty member.
- Student transcripts may also be held for unpaid parking fines, and unpaid fines may be added to student accounts for collection purposes.