If you are proposing a new course, and your discipline has already undergone renumbering as part of the state system, you will need to select a new number compatible with this system. Please follow these steps:
- Go to the “Course Equivalency Guide” maintained by the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE).
- Select your discipline in the top box (called “Comprehensive Search”) and hit SUBMIT.
- Look down the list for a title that might seem to match the course you are thinking about. (At some point there will be more detailed learning objectives available, but for now we need to start with titles.)
- If there is nothing that looks close, select a number that makes sense and one that follows any obvious patterns. You might want to talk to the MSU faculty member who was on the original committee; your department head should know who this was.
- If there are titles that look close, please contact at least one faculty member on another campus who teaches the course to discuss content. If you decide your proposed course is sufficiently similar, you will have to adopt the same number and title. If they are not the same, then you can select a unique number and title.
Regardless of whether you decide that your courses is unique or matches an existing course, please send a short email to Ron Larsen (email@example.com) explaining your conclusion.