Sympa Mailing Lists
What is Sympa?
Sympa is a mailing list manager and server for sending email messages to multiple recipients on a list. Lists can have recipients both inside and outside of MSU.
Who can request a list?
Lists can be requested by faculty, staff, and students (of officially recognized MSU Clubs).
There are 3 different list types:
- User-managed lists that are populated by list owners (available upon request)
Auto-generated lists that are populated by querying Banner (available upon request)
Class enrollment and advisor/advisee lists that are automatically created and populated each semester*
*A class enrollment list is created for every section of every class. An advisor/advisee list is created for each advisor and made up of advisees who have been listed as their Primary Advisor as defined in Banner.
Only the owner of a list can modify or request that a modification be made to their list. Modifications include:
- changing list membership (add/deleting members)
- changing list owners
- changing list configuration such as sending privileges
- changing reply to address
Owners can request list modifications by contacting the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 994-1777. Requests for modifications are required to come from a list's owner and will not be made without their explicit approval.
Request a list
To request a new list complete the New List Request form.
- When requesting a new user-managed list, you will be asked to choose:
- who can send messages to the list
- who can add members to the list
- who will receive replies to messages sent to the list
- When requesting an auto-populated list from Banner you will be asked to provide the Banner codes needed to select the recipients of the list. Auto-populated lists are updated nightly.
Please see the List Service FAQ.