Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program
Montana State University is proud to offer a scholarship program to a limited number of students who are selected as Finalists in the National Merit competition. The Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program will provide up to three finalists who list Montana State as their first choice school with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Funding may allow for additional awarding with a minimum of three awards per year to incoming freshman.
A non-resident student will receive an award of a one-time $3,000 tuition scholarship* for the first year at Montana State University. In addition, students who are National Merit Finalists and who list MSU as their first-choice school by March 1st will receive $750/year renewable for four years from Montana State University. The National Merit award can be combined with a Premier Scholarship (for residents) or Achievement Award (for nonresidents)*.
*If students are offered a MSU Presidential Scholarship, MSU Provost Scholarship, MUS Honor Scholarship or other full tuition scholarship waiver, they are advised to select the offer of the greatest value. Students offered multiple awards that are designated to cover base tuition cannot receive more than 100% of the cost of tuition from the combination of the awards. The base tuition amount does not include fees, room and board, books, or other expenses.
In addition, Montana State University National Merit Scholars will receive:
- Guaranteed admission to the MSU Honors College
- Guaranteed placement in Honors Housing
What do students need to do to be eligible?
- Achieve Finalist standing with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
- Be admitted to MSU by February 15 as a first year student entering direct from high school or home school.
- Submit a copy of your National Merit Finalist letter to the MSU Financial Aid Office by March 1.
- Declare Montana State University as first school of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation by their deadline.
- Enroll full-time each semester of the freshman year (take a minimum of 15 credits).
- Up to 3 Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program awards may be offered each year to new freshmen.