Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program
Montana State University is proud to offer a new scholarship program to students who are selected as Finalists in the National Merit competition. The Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program will provide finalists who list Montana State as their first choice school with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation an award of a one-time $3,000 tuition scholarship* for the first year at Montana State. In addition, National Merit Finalists who list MSU as their first choice school will receive $750/year renewable for 4 years from MSU along with a generous Premier Scholarship (for residents) or Achievement Award (for nonresidents)*.
*If students are offered a MSU Presidential Scholarship, MSU Provost Scholarship, MUS Honor Scholarship or other full tuition scholarship waiver, they are advised to select the offer of the greatest value. Students offered multiple awards that are designated to cover base tuition cannot receive more than 100% of the cost of tuition from the combination of the awards. The base tuition amount does not include fees, room and board, books, or other expenses.
In addition, Montana State University National Merit Scholars will receive:
- Guaranteed admission to the MSU Honors College
- Guaranteed placement in Honors Housing
What do students need to do to be eligible?
- Achieve Finalist standing with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
- Be admitted to MSU by February 15 as a first year student entering direct from high school or home school.
- Submit a copy of your National Merit Finalist letter to the MSU Financial Aid Office by March 1.
- Declare Montana State University as first school of choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation by their deadline.
- Enroll full-time each semester of the freshman year (take a minimum of 15 credits).
- Up to 10 Montana State University National Merit Scholar Program awards may be offered each year to new freshmen.