Orientation for Freshman Students
Welcome to the Bobcat Family!
We are very excited for you to start your academic career at Montana State University! Orientation/Class Registration is your introduction to academic and non-academic life at Montana State University. All new students are required to attend an Orientation/Class Registration session. Through our Orientation/Class Registration program, students will have the opportunity to:
- Register for semester courses
- Connect with your Academic Advisor
- Engage with MSU course planning and class registration systems
- Learn how to use University services and resources
Click or tap on one of the options listed below to learn more.
Registration for spring 2021 Orientation/Class Registration will open on November 2, 2020.
All incoming freshman are required to participate in in Orientation/Class Registration. During Orientation, students will register for their spring 2021 semester courses.
Orientation/Class Registration for freshman students will consist of an online Orientation program and an in-person Orientation welcome session. Both components are mandatory.
- Online: Students will complete an online Orientation program between Wednesday, December 30, 2020, and Wednesday, January 6, 2021 on the platform CatsConnect. This online program will familiarize students with MSU's academic requirements and the technology that MSU uses for academic advising and course registration. The online Orientation is self-paced and does not require students to login at specific times. After students complete this online component, they will be prompted to schedule a remote/virtual academic advising appointment with their Academic Advisor between Monday, January 4, 2021, and Wednesday, January 6, 2021. Students will register for their spring 2021 course schedule during this appointment.
- In-person: Students will attend an in-person Orientation welcome session on Thursday, January 7, 2021, or Friday, January 8, 2021. A student's in-person Orientation day will be determined by their Academic College. More details will be sent to you after registering for Orientation. This in-person Orientation session will focus on community building and MSU's support services, as well as cover how to pay your bill. We look forward to seeing you here!
Please note that students cannot register for classes until all MSU immunization requirements are met. Please submit all required immunization documents well ahead of your Orientation/Class Registration session and academic advising appointment.
Parents: Our in-person Welcome sessions were approved by Gallatin County Health for student-only attendance. Although we will not be able to host parents for in-person Orientation sessions, we will email Orientation information to parents before the start of school.
Freshmen that start school during a summer term will not need to attend a formal Orientation/Class Registration session to register for their summer courses. Students may contact the Academic Advising Center at (406) 994-3532 to discuss their summer course schedule. *Please note that freshmen starting in the summer and intending to continue in the fall will need to complete a formal Orientation/Class Registration session during the summer term before registering for their fall course schedule.
Non-degree seeking freshman students that are only taking classes at MSU for the singular summer term do not need to complete a formal Orientation/Class Registration program to register for their summer courses. These students can contact the Academic Advising Center at (406) 994-3532 to discuss their summer course schedule and register for classes. Please note that if you decide to continue taking classes at MSU during the fall semester, you will be required to complete a formal Orientation/Class Registration program.
Registration for fall 2021 Orientation/Class Registration will open on February 15, 2021. Please check back later for fall 2021 Orientation/Class Registration session dates and details.
All incoming freshman are required to participate in one of our Orientation/Class Registration sessions. During Orientation, students will register for their fall 2021 semester courses.
Please note that students cannot register for classes until all MSU immunization requirements are met. Please submit all required immunization documents well ahead of your Orientation/Class Registration session.
Please see our Orientation/Class Registration Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Orientation Office at (406) 994-2827, toll-free at (888) MSU-CATS or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All new students are required to attend an Orientation/Class Registration session before they can register for classes. For students starting in the summer, please see the "Summer 2021" section above.
To register for Orientation/Class Registration, click the Register Now button below. This will take you to a page which provides instructions on how to access your MyInfo student portal and register for Orientation/Class Registration.
Non-Traditional Student Orientation/Class Registration
The Non-Traditional Student Orientation/Class Registration Program is designed to meet the needs of incoming non-traditionally aged students who are attending college for the first time. This program is by invitation only. Eligible students will be notified.
Non-degree Seeking Students
Incoming non-degree seeking students are not required to complete a formal Orientation/Class Registration session before registering for their semester courses. These students can contact the Academic Advising Center at (406) 994-3532 to discuss their course schedule and register for classes. Please note that if you decide to pursue a degree at MSU, you will be required to complete a formal Orientation/Class Registration program.
Follow these steps, in addition to completing each item on your Undergraduate Admissions Checklist, to prepare for the start of school:
- Claim your NetID and register for Freshman Orientation/Class Registration.
- Secure housing for the fall semester by submitting a housing application. Find the housing application online at the Residence Life Housing Portal. For any questions regarding housing, please contact Residence Life at email@example.com.
- Submit Immunization Records. See “Additional Information” for further instructions. All immunization requirements must be met before the start of your Orientation/Class Registration session and before you will be allowed to register for your courses.
- Upon high school graduation, request all final, official high school and/or college transcripts, along with official AP/IB scores, be sent to MSU. Transcripts can be sent by mail to MSU Admissions Office, P.O. Box 172190, Bozeman, MT 59717, or by secure electronic delivery service such as Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse or Credential Solutions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the Parking Services webpage for information on University parking. For questions regarding parking accommodations, please contact Parking Services at email@example.com.
- Submit your Cat Card photo by downloading the GET Mobile app and following the instructions on the CatCard website. For questions regarding CatCards, please contact MSU CatCard at (406) 994-2273.
- Pay your first semester bill. Your fall semester bill will be created once you have completed Orientation/Class Registration. To view your Student Accounts bill, log in to MyInfo and select “Electronic Billing and Payment.” For questions regarding your bill, please contact Student Accounts at (406) 994-1991.
At Montana State University, we traditionally use ACT/SAT and/or college-level credit to place students into appropriate Math and Writing courses. Be sure that you have submitted any and all placement materials (ACT, SAT, AP, IB, Dual Enrollment transcripts, etc.) that you have to the Office of Admissions prior to your Orientation/Class Registration session to make sure that the courses you are placed into reflect your abilities and will keep you on the right track toward graduation.
We are not requiring test scores for incoming fall 2021 students and are currently re-evaluating our math and writing placement practices for those students that will not have ACT/SAT scores. Please check back later for more information regarding the placement process if you will not have ACT/SAT scores.
Students cannot register for classes until all MSU immunization requirements are met. Please ensure that you have met all immunization requirements before the start of your Orientation/Class Registration session. For more information on these requirements, please visit the FAQ guide or contact University Health Partners Medical Services.
Tel: (406) 994-2311 • Fax: (406) 994-2504 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Disability Services strives to provide access to all college programs, services, activities and facilities for students with disabilities. This includes encouraging self-advocacy for students and connecting them with resources and support services across campus to help them achieve their personal best. If you would like further information on the Office of Disability Services and the resources and services they provide, please visit the Office of Disability Services website.
Questions? We're here to help.
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us! You can email our
staff at email@example.com, or call us Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm MT at 1-888-MSU-CATS.