- Cellulosic nanomaterials – synthesis, functionalization and novel applications
- Utilization of cellulosic materials in bio-composites
- Biopolymer composites processing and characterization
- Value addition of agricultural by-products for commercial application
- Distillers dry grain with solubles (DDGS) and soybean oil derivatives
- Understanding durability engineering of composite materials
- Federal and national grants from NSF, NIST, NSF EPSCoR, USDA, and ND-EPSCoR NASA, Cotton Inc.
- State funding from ND Industrial Commission, ND Soybean Board, ND Corn Utilization Council, Agricultural Products Utilization Commission, and SBARE.
- PI – Bioinspired Tuning of Nano Cellulose for Creating a Safe Fire Retardant for Polymer Composites. NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Collaborator - Stretch Broken Fiber Material Forms for Primary Aerospace Structure. U.S. Army Research lab (ARL)
- PI – Novel Nanocellulose Based Fire Retardant for Polymer Composites. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA-AFRI)
- Co-PI – Corn Starch Hydrogel as Unpaved Road Dust Suppressant. ND Corn Council.
- Co-PI – A New Corn Product for Winter Maintenance of ND roads. ND Corn Council.
- Co-PI – Value Addition of Corn DDGS by Fiber Extraction and Applications of DDGS Fiber to Manufacture Low Density Particleboards. ND Corn Council.
- PI – Development of Corn DDGS Based Composite Filament for 3D Printer. ND Corn Council.