About LIFE Scholars
LIFE Scholars is a 3-year, fully inclusive, non-degree certificate program for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Audit 1-4 classes each semester to gain knowledge in their area of interest.
- Engage in extra-curricular campus activities to develop social networks.
- Participate in campus and community internships to develop job skills and explore careers.
- Independence and self-determination skills are interwoven into every aspect of the program.
- Learning is for everyone (LIFE).
- Individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities can engage in and do benefit from higher education learning.
- College is a path to self-determination, independence and competitive employment for all students.
- An inclusive college environment benefits the campus and broader community by raising expectations of all learners, expanding our definition of diversity, improving teaching methods to include Universal Design for Learning, and providing skilled workers to meet the needs of community businesses.
- To create a fully inclusive campus community at MSU with high expectations of success for all diverse learners.
- To facilitate engagement in campus activities and events to encourage social connections and create community membership.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop self-determination skills, addressing ones wants and needs through decision-making, problem solving, and goal setting.
- To offer on-campus residential housing to qualified students to increase independence.
- To prepare students for integrated, competitive employment.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Become lifelong learners.
- Develop self-determination to achieve individual life goals.
- Gain knowledge by enrolling in courses that interest them.
- Explore careers by working in a variety of internships.
- Expand social networks and develop authentic peer relationships.
- Be actively engaged in the campus community through involvement in extracurricular activities.
- Earn a MSU LIFE Scholars Certificate.
- Obtain meaningful, competitive employment upon graduation.