Market Livestock Expectations
Broadwater County 4-H
The following are the requirements for 4-H members to sell market livestock at the 4-H/FFA Livestock Sale at the Broadwater County Fair.
- Participate in Livestock Quality Assurance Training every other year.
- Complete seven activity points as defined on the Market Livestock Activity Requirements Form by fair entry deadline.
- Participate in an interview during Fair setup.
- Have your record book up-to-date and present during the interview.
- Complete your record book at the end of the 4-H year and submit it to your club leader by your club’s established deadline (on or before September 15th). Any books not turned in and complete by November 1st will not be eligible to sell an animal the following year at Fair.
- Follow the tagging requirements and deadlines for each species as specified below.
Tagging & Identification of Market Animals
Beef – Animals must be in the care of the 4-H member by January 1st. Animals must be present for tagging and weigh-in. This is typically the last weekend of December or first weekend of January. NOTE: Members must be at least 10 years old (by October 1st) to participate in the market beef project.
Swine – Animals must be in the care of the 4-H member by April 15th. 4-H members must obtain tags from the Extension Office. Animals must be tagged, and Identification Forms returned to the Extension Office by April 29th.
Lambs & Goats - Animals must be in the care of the 4-H member by May 15th. Animals must be present for tagging and weigh-in. This is typically during the week and towards the mid/end of May.
Poultry & Rabbit – Animals must be in the care of the 4-H member and Identification Form submitted to the Extension Office by June 25th.
In order to be eligible for end-of-the-year 4-H Project Awards, members must go above and beyond the minimum requirements stated above. The requirements include completing a 4-H Record Book, Project Book and My 4-H Story by the club’s record book deadline in addition to other electives. See the Project Award Checklist for details and options.
For more information or questions, contact MSU Extension – Broadwater County at 406-266-9242 or [email protected].