CPR/First Aid Certification for Student Teaching
As part of your student teaching experience, you are required to have a CURRENT CPR/First Aid/AED certification when you enter the schools.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 most entities are NOT holdinig face-to-face CPR/1st Aid certification classes. The Field Placement & Licensure office has taken this into consideration. We have approved future student teachers to take blended online/onsite CPR/1st Aid classes for their initial certification for adult/child within the parameters below:
- Agency/company must adhere to American Heart Association and/or American Red Cross guidelines.
- The online classes must use the same materials as an in-person class.
- Student must take an in-person onsite skills test with a certified AHA instructor to receive the CPR/1st Aid certification. If the online agency/company does not include the onsite skills test then student must locate one that does.
- Before registering, contact the Field Placement and Licensure office, email@example.com, to verify the class is appropriate.
SEE COVID-19 NOTE ABOVE: CPR/First Aid/AED certification must be done through a hands-on in-person certification class--online certificationinitial training is NOT accepted.
When looking to complete initial CPR/First Aid/AED training, please keep in mind:
- CPR/First Aid/AED Certification must meet the guidelines set forth by ILCOR/America Heart Association (AHA).
- Must be adult and child certification.
- Organizations who meet ILCOR/AHA guidelines and provide acceptable CPR/First Aid/AED
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- American Red Cross (ARC)
- National Safety Council (NSC)
Renewal/Recertification of CPR/First Aid/AED Certification
Online renewals are accepted if:
- Certification is done 30-days before, but no later than 30-days after, the expiration date. We cannot accept a previous certification if the expiration date is outside of these parameters.
- Student must provide a copy of their soon-to-be expired/expired certification.
- Company/Business that offers renewal/recertification must meet ILCOR/AHA guidelines.
For your convenience, we have provided the local options below of places, who meet ILCOR/AHA guidelines, that offer CPR/First Aid/AED certification classes. Most local Montana hospitals or wellness/health clinics offer CPR/First Aid/AED certification classes.
MSU Recreation Sports & Fitness Center . Go to Program Registration, Aquatics Health & Safety (heart icon), (406) 994-5000.