In an effort to standardize the information an institution publishes on fire safety, the U.S. Department of Education requires all universities that maintain on-campus student housing facilities and receive U.S. Department of Education funding to publish an annual fire safety report, maintain a fire log, and report fire statistics to the Secretary of Education. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is also posted on the Montana State University University Student Housing website. Paper copies of the full report are available upon request at the University Student Housing Office during business hours. 

 
Incident Date
Incident Time
Report Date
Location
Description
4/27/22
8:12pm
4/27/22
Roskie Hall, 1st floor, Kitchen
Oven range caught fire during use. 
1/5/22
9:00am
1/5/22
Mullan 3rd Floor by Elevator
Sign had been burned on the bottom of the paper and wall had burn marks.
11/13/21
10:20pm
11/13/21
Mullan 4th Floor Student Room
Burned corner of door tag hanging on door
10/19/21
9:01am
10/20/21
Yellowstone 4th floor Hub Area
Burn mark on the carpet.
9/20/21
11:52am
9/20/21
Langford 4th Floor Student Room
Student lighting hand sanitizer on fire and leaving two scorch marks on the floor tiles.
2/25/21
9:10am
2/25/21
Hyalite Hall, 1st Floor Mechanical Room
Elevator motor sparked causing a small flame
12/23/20
2:00pm
12/23/20
1400 block of Fox
Small fire started on stovetop - extinguished by occupant
10/21/20
3:05pm
10/21/20
Nelson Story Tower - Interior Stairwell - 2nd Floor Landing
Bulb in fixture cracked and started to produce a small flame. Ballast and bulb were replaced.
9/29/20
8:00pm
9/29/20
103 Paisley Court Apt. J
Small fire started on stovetop requiring fire extinguisher to be discharged.
5/14/20
8:33pm
5/15/20
107 East Julia Martin Apt. E
Small fire started on a stove burner, requiring fire extinguisher to be discharged.
12/17/2019
2:00pm
2/14/20
47 Glacier Court
Small fire started in a frying pan on the stove, requiring fire extinguisher to be discharged.
11/17/2019
12:00pm
11/18/19
103 Branegan Court Apt. C
Stove Top Fire - small amount of grease in the drip pan caught fire and was put out with a fire extinguisher.
10/22/2018
 6:02pm
5/29/2019
North Hedges 607
UPDATED: During summer cleaning of the room, mattress was found to have the cover melted and the wall singed. Staff contacted student to determine the date of incident.
11/10/2018
3:45pm
11/10/2018
North Hedges - Room 329
Battery exploded and set rug on fire.
11/1/2018
4:15pm
11/1/2018
ResLife Apartments - 106 (C)
Rug caught fire that had slid under a floor heater behind the apartment door.
10/22/2018
6:02pm
10/23/2018
North Hedges 607
Outside room 607 - A butane torch accidentally discharged and burned the carpet in front of the room door.
3/20/2018
2:15am
3/20/2018
Yellowstone Hall
3rd floor hallway - burned paper on the floor underneath a partially melted smoke detector that had been intentionally activated.
7/26/2017
11:45pm
7/27/2017
Paisley Court
Stove top fire – food caught fire in pan and singed wall.  Tenant put out fire with extinguisher.
5/2/2016
4:00pm 
3/13/2017
South Hedges Hall
Burned corner of poster on 8th floor
1/1/2016
8:00am 
3/13/2017
Langford Hall
Burned rubber strip and painted wall
1/18/2017
5:13am
1/18/2017
Freshman Apartments
Pillow was placed on electric stove causing a fire in Freshman Apartment 113A
11/7/2016
10:47am
11/7/2016
Freshman Apartments
Apartment had a couch set on fire by a burning paper towel under it. Undetermined who set the fire but the residents put it out before it could do any damage to the building.
3/5/2016
10:28pm
3/8/2016
Madison Hall
Grease on tin foil covering stove top burner caught fire. Resident put it out with the fire extinguisher.
2/6/2016
12:15am
2/7/2016
Langford Hall
Langford Hall Room 211 had outside door decorations that were burned and door/carpet had scorch marks.
11/1/2015
9:00pm
11/2/2015
Freshman Apartments
A minor fire outside apartment building 113 (West Julia Martin) in the back seat of a vehicle. The cause of fire was undetermined.
10/21/2015
9:00pm
10/22/2015
Roskie Hall
Poster located in 2nd floor stairwell had a one inch, triangular burn at bottom middle of sign
8/14/2015
8:00am
8/14/2015
Roskie Hall
Burn holes in ceiling tiles of 6th Floor Teen Pods. Specific Date of incident is unknown. 
3/1/2015
8:00pm
3/3/2015
Freshman Apartments
Freshman Apartment 101A had outside door decoration that was half burned. 
2/2/2015
8:10pm
2/3/2015
Johnstone Center
Burnt corner of a poster in 2nd Floor main stairwell of Pryor Wing.
12/4/2014
7:30pm
12/5/2014
Langford Hall
A small explosion in a resident room as a result of a flammable substance from an aerosol can being exposed to an open flame from a BIC lighter. 
11/9/2014
1:45pm
11/10/2014
Johnstone Center
Resident had poster on his door with a burned corner.
7/2/2014
11:15pm
7/3/2014
Madison Hall
Pizza boxes in kitchen oven caught fire. Residents put it out with the fire extinguisher.
4/27/2014
7:55pm
4/28/2014
Quad B Dumpster
Residents put hot coals in dumpster after BBQ event and caught the dumpster on fire melting the dumpster lid.
2/12/2014
8:00am
2/12/2014
South Hedges
11th Floor SE Bathroom, Poster Burned.
11/18/2013
7:20pm
11/19/2013
South Hedges Hall
Burnt poster on the SE door of the South Bathroom of 11th floor, the door was burnt as well. Burnt paper in the fire extinguisher box of the SE hallway of 11th floor. Burn marks on the ceiling surrounding a particle detector in the south end of 11th floor.
11/3/2013
7:30pm
11/5/2013
Langford Hall
Resident started small grease fire in oven. It was extinguished before staff responded.
10/4/2013
6:00pm
10/4/2013
Quad F
Two residents burned a piece of paper in the hallway.
4/1/2013
8:40pm
4/1/2013
Roskie Hall
'Murica' burned into ceiling of blue 3rd floor stairwell.
2/7/2013
9:10am
2/7/2013
Roskie Hall
'S' burned into the ceiling of the 8th/9th pink stairwell.
1/27/2013
7:30pm
1/27/2013
Roskie Hall
A staff member noticed FEALTH burned into the ceiling for the 3rd floor public area. 
1/25/2013
8:30am
1/25/2013
Roskie Hall
A staff member found the bulletin board between the elevators on the 3rd floor singed. 
12/12/2012
6:30am
12/12/2012
Roskie Hall
Several items were found to be burned on the 2nd floor.
12/10/2012
8:00am
12/10/2012
Roskie Hall
A staff member on the third floor found burn marks in the ceiling by the elevator.
11/30/2012
1:00pm
11/30/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff member discovered a burned door decoration on the 5th floor during routine rounds.
11/27/2012
10:30pm
11/27/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered a poster on the 6th floor with a burned corner during routine rounds.
11/25/2012
10:30pm
11/25/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered a poster with burn marks on the corners on the 3rd floor during routine rounds.
11/11/2012
1:00am
11/11/2012
Roskie Hall
Staff members discovered burned posters on the 3rd floor during routine rounds. 
10/16/2012
11:00pm
10/16/2012
South Hedges
Staff members discovered a singed poster on a door.
10/8/2012
5:00pm
10/8/2012
Roskie Hall
There was a stove top fire in the kitchen.
9/14/2012
9:00am
9/14/2012
Quad A
Staff members discovered a partially burned poster during routine rounds.
4/15/2012
5:00pm
4/15/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered a poster with a singed corner during routine rounds.
4/10/2012
7:30pm
4/10/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered black smoke marks inside an elevator.
4/5/2012
4:30pm
4/5/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered black smoke marks inside east and west elevators.
3/24/2012
10:00am
3/24/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered a poster with a singed corner during routine rounds.
3/7/2012
3:00pm
3/7/2012
North Hedges Hall
Staff members discovered a singed sign by the elevators during routine rounds.
3/6/2012
4:00pm
3/6/2012
North Hedges Hall
A staff member discovered a singed door decoration during routine rounds.
3/4/2012
9:30pm
3/4/2012
Peter Koch Tower
There was a small stove top fire.
2/15/2012
10:30pm
2/15/2012
Roskie Hall
Staff members discovered  a singed door decoration during routine rounds.
2/7/2012
5:30pm
2/7/2012
Roskie Hall
Student employee observed a residents attempt to light a doorknob on fire.
2/3/2012
2:00pm
2/3/2012
Roskie Hall
A staff member found a burned piece of toilet paper in a bathroom stall.
1/29/2012
7:30am
1/29/2012
North Hedges Hall
A student staff member found a trash can outside the building with a melted bag inside.
1/23/2012
9:30pm
1/23/2012
South Hedges Hall
Staff member discovered a singed door decoration during routine rounds.
10/26/2011
2:00pm
10/26/2011
Langford Hall
A singed poster was found on the exterior of the building.
2/16/2011
2:00pm
2/16/2011
North Hedges
Burn mark on elevator interior wall.
10/5/2010
9:30pm
10/5/2010
South Hedges Hall
A burned piece of paper was taped to the South Hedges south elevator.
4/5/2010
12:30am
4/5/2010
Roskie Hall
A cigarette butt had burned a hole in a garbage can located on the 5th floor.
4/5/2010
12:30am
4/5/2010
Roskie Hall
A cigarette butt had burned a hole in a garbage can located on the 2nd floor.
3/17/2010
11:00pm
3/17/2010
Johnstone Center
A student possession had caught on fire and burned a hole in the carpet.
3/9/2010
12:00am
3/9/2010
Roskie Hall
There was a small burn on a door decoration on the sixth floor.
1/16/2010
2:30am
1/16/2010
Roskie Hall
A corner of a door decoration on the fifth floor was singed as was part of the door.