What do I need to complete this degree?

A minimum of 120 credits is required to complete the liberal studies degree. For more information, please go to the Curriculum tab.

How long will it take to finish my degree?

The length of time required to complete this degree program will vary depending on previous coursework completed and the number of courses you take each semester. Here is an example: If you have 60 credits left to finish the degree and take 6 credits per semester (including summer) you could complete your degree in about 3.5 years. Factors that may affect how many courses you take include your learning style, your career objectives and your other time commitments.

How much will this degree cost?

Please check the Tuition and Fees tab as tuition and fees change slightly each year.

How much time should I expect to devote to each online course?

You should plan to spend anywhere from 8-10 hours per week on each course. In fact, students who take online courses often spend more time working on their courses than students in traditional face-to-face courses. We recommend that you log into your course as often as possible, at least 5-6 times per week and every day if possible, so that you can stay current in your course(s).

Who teaches the courses in this program?

Courses in this program are taught by Montana State University professors who also teach on campus. Many teach the same courses to on-campus students. Faculty who teach online courses have received special training in how to teach online.

Will all of my courses transfer into this degree program?

The MSU Office of Admissions determines which of your courses will transfer into the program. We advise you to apply for admission into the program so that MSU’s Office of Admissions can evaluate your transcript. If you are returning to MSU and transferring credits from another institution, the Registrar’s office will evaluate your transcript.

Will military credits be accepted by this program?

The MSU Office of Admissions will determine if your military credits transfer during the application process.

Can I receive credit for prior learning/life experience?

MSU does not currently offer credit for prior learning/life experience. However you can take a CLEP Exam to demonstrate competency in certain subject areas e.g. foreign language.

Will I need to come to campus to complete a campus orientation?

You do not need to attend an on campus orientation.
An online orientation is available for students once you have been admitted to the program.

Do I need an Advisor PIN to register for courses?

Yes, you will need an advisor PIN in order to register for classes through MyInfo. Learn more.

How do I register for courses?

You will get your PIN during your advising appointment. Learn more.

You will register for classes through MyInfo, MSU's online registration system.

Additional Questions

For additional questions about online learning, please go to the Montana State Online FAQs.

For More Information

John Townsend-Mehler
Academic Advisor
(406) 994-3102
Contact John
Schedule Appointment

Sarah Coletta-Fllynn
Program Manager
(406) 994-7441
Email Sarah

Explore Further