To be admitted into this program, you need:

  • an Associate's degree or at least 30 semester hours of college credit from a regionally accredited institution; and
  • GPA of 2.0 or better

All college-level courses from colleges or universities accredited by any of the six regional accrediting agencies at the time the courses were taken will be accepted for transfer. Courses from non-accredited schools will not be accepted for transfer. The Liberal Studies program will determine if the transfer electives satisfy specific curriculum requirements.


The application process differs between students returning to MSU and those who would be new transfer students.

To be certain you start with the most appropriate steps for your situation, please contact Jaclyn Denny, Academic Advisor for this program, before proceeding.

Transfer Students

Apply as a Transfer Student

  • When you get to the Educational Goals section of the application, please select “Liberal Studies--Quaternity Option (Online Only)”
  • When you apply you will need to pay a one-time application fee of $38
  • Send in your official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended to the Office of Admissions.


Transfer students must have all materials/transcripts to MSU by these preferred dates:

  • May 1 for summer
  • July 1 for fall
  • December 1 for spring

Returning MSU Students

If you are returning to MSU, fill out an “Intent to Register” form. You can access this by logging into the MyInfo system and going to the “Student Services” tab. When you fill out this form, you will need to list any schools you have attended since leaving MSU and have your official transcripts sent to the Registrar’s office.

  • When you are asked to fill in your “Intended Major”, please indicate “Liberal Studies--Quaternity Online”.
  • When you fill this form out, be sure to include any schools that you've taken credits from since you last attended MSU-Bozeman, if applicable.


Submit the form at least 30 days prior to registration for the term desired.

Continuing Students

If you are a current student and want to change your major to this program, you will need to fill out a Curriculum Changes Form, which you can find under the "Application and Declaration" section on the Office of the Registrar's webpage.

International Students

If you are an international student, please contact the Office of International Programs for more information about how to apply to MSU as an international undergraduate student.

For More Information

Bridget Kevane
Interim Academic Advisor
Contact Bridget
Schedule Appointment

Jennifer Storment
Interim Program Manager
(406) 994-7805
Email Jennifer

Explore Further