MIE 3D Printer Use Policy
This policy is being set to provide guidance in the use of the three 3-D printers owned by the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering Department.
The printers were purchased with EFAC money for instructional use in the MIE department. As such, MIE instructional use has priority and is encouraged, while all other users are secondary and will be subject to conditions, as outlined below.
MIE Instructional Use
- Instructional / Educational use for MIE courses is open to all authorized MIE Instructors and students.
- All MIE instructors who desire to use the printers are expected to have basic training in use and care of the respective printer.
- Instructors will only allow students to use the printers with supervision.
- Student models being printed need to be directly tied to that student's coursework.
- Instructors are expected to manage the amount of material per student, or student group, to a 'reasonable level'. No limits will be imposed unless we find that there are excesses.
- Scheduling for MIE course use will be on a first-come-first-served-basis, so if you want to use the printers you will need to let the person(s) in charge of the printers know and get on the schedule.
- Fees for MIE (EMEC, ETME, and EIND) use will be directed to the course or project (capstone), at department discretion.
Non-MIE Research Use
- Approval must be obtained prior to printing.
- Scheduling will be on a first-come-first-served-basis, so if you want to use the printers you will need to let the person(s) in charge of the printers know.
- Only persons who have had basic training in use and care of the respective printer will be allowed to use them, and they must demonstrate that they do have such training. If someone wants a print but has not received acceptable training, then they will need to coordinate with the person(s) managing the printer use.
- A use fee may be assessed, so arrangements for payment must be made with MIE accounting prior to use.
For scheduling Printer use please contact the MIE Laboratory Manager in Norm Asbjornson Hall.