Unified Communications Project
MSU Phone System Upgrade to VoIP
The Unified Communications (UC) project replaces MSU's existing telephone system with a new system using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). This technology will allow telephone calls (aka "voice data") to be routed over the same network MSU already uses for data. The migration of campus phones, including fax lines, will take place until February 28 2022.
If you have a fax line for your department, please complete this form in order that we can properly move your fax line to the new system and avoid any disruption of service.
read more about this effort by clicking here
- One network to support for network and data.
- Departments able to move their own phones to new locations (without need to make a request)
- Enhanced functionality of voicemail, conferencing, contact center, etc.
- Reduction of annual system maintenance costs ~$100,000
- Reductions of physical plant expenditure costs ~ $35,000
VoIP Migration Schedule
Migration of phones to the new system will be carried out one building at a time. Building occupants will be notified prior to the move.
- Final phase - October 2 2021 - Feb 28 2022
- Nortel/Avaya Decommissioning - March 2022
Legacy analog telephone services are being transitioned off of our Nortel/Avaya system
- part of the effort referred to as the UC Project. Fax lines are currently using these legacy analog systems and as a result, must
be transitioned off to meet the February 28th, 2022. We are utilizing a cloud based
fax service, Westfax, to help manage the movement of these lines.
To learn more about how you will interact with Westfax during and following the transition of these phone lines, along with enhanced fax services in the future, visit www.montana.edu/uit/fax
Frequently Asked Questions
VoIP Phone Guides
Cisco IP Phone quick start guides include phone diagram and basic task instructions.
Find phone model number:
Press the Applications button on your phone, then select Phone information. The model number will be displayed.
- 7841 Quick Reference - this is most common model at MSU
- 8800 series Quick Start
Cisco Unity Connection is the name of our new voicemail system.
- About Cisco Unity voicemail
- Cisco voicemail web access
Log in with NetID and NetID password
Two recommended headsets compatible with Cisco IP phones:
- High End: Plantronics Savi 8200 Series W8220 Headset~$350
- Low End: Plantronics Encore Pro 510 Headset ~$100