Dr. Wyatt Cross
Professor of Ecology
Director, Montana Water Center
Click here for Google Scholar Site
Research in our laboratory is devoted to understanding patterns and processes in freshwater ecosystems. In particular, we’re interested in the linkages between food web dynamics and ecosystem ecology, with an emphasis on bridging theory and application. We use tools from bioenergetic (e.g., growth, secondary production) and stoichiometric (i.e., content and recycling of essential elements [C:N:P]) frameworks to link species to whole-ecosystem material fluxes, and to examine effects of altered carbon and nutrient regimes on freshwater ecosystem structure and function.
I teach, or have taught, Freshwater Ecology, Research in Freshwater Ecology, Aquatic Insects, Organismal Biology, Emerging Topics in Ecology, Foundations of Ecology and Management.
I am also former director of the Montana Water Center (2014-2022)
Nate Heili, MS
Jose 'Tosti' Sanchez-Ruiz, PhD
Post Docs & Visiting Scientists
Jim Hood ("Hoodie")
Jim was a post-doc in the lab until 2015. He is now a faculty member at Ohio State University in the Department of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Liliana Lago Garcia
Lili joined our lab for a year in 2016 as a visiting post-doctoral scientist from Spain. She investigated nutrient pollution effects on stream food webs (in collaboration with John Richardson at UBC). She is now at the Universidad de Vigo, Spain.
- Eric Scholl, PhD 2021, Post Doc at USGS Grand Canyon Monitoring and Research Center
- Jenny McCarty, MS 2019, SWCA environmental consultant, Boulder CO
- Jim Junker, PhD 2019, Post-Doc, Michigan Tech University
- Niall Clancy, BS 2017, PhD student, University of Wyoming
- Stacy Davis, MS 2013, USGS North Dakota
- Tanner Williamson, MS 2014, Scientist, Nortwest Indian Fisheries Alliance, Olympia WA
- Leslie Piper, co-advised with Brian McGlynn
- Ryan McClure, BS 2015, Post-Doc, Stephanie Hampton's lab