Getting Started with Box
How do I...
1. Go to https://montana.box.com
2. Click the Sign in with SSO link as shown in the image below.
2. Enter your Montana State email address (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) and click SIGN IN.
You will be taken to Montana State's Single Sign On page
3. Enter your NetID and NetID password. (example: a12b345)
After you have logged into montana.box.com once, the next time you log in will see the screen below. Click the Continue button.
Then proceed as in step 3 above.
- Go to https://training.box.com.
- Click the blue Log into Box button.
In the Log in to grant access to Box window that opens (see image below):
- Enter your @montana.edu (@student.montana.edu) address and NetID password.
- Click Authorize.
Box University will open.
Box integrates with other tools such as Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Outlook). Use one of the Office Box Applications for secure, supported integration. Check out the list and download these tools here: https://montana.app.box.com/services/browse/official
When a Box App is installed, users willl be required to "authorize" access for the App. Follow the instructions below to authorize this app.
1. When prompted, click on "use Single Sign On (SSO) link on the "Log in to grant access to Box" page
2. Input your email@example.com email address in the field and click "Authorize"
Box has apps for many mobile devices, such as Android tablets and phones and iOS devices. You can also use box.com's mobile site.
To install and use Box mobile apps, follow the instructions below. If logging in on the Box mobile website, start on instruction number 4(four).
1. Search for and install the Box App from the iTunes, Google Play store or the Windows Phone Store.
2. Once installed, open the app and swipe left until you reach the screen below (screen will have a login or sign up button)
3. Tap on Log In.
4. Select Use Single Sign On located below the Log In button.
5. Enter your .edu email address and tap Log In.
6. Enter NetID and NetID Password.
7. Tap Log In.
Box Sync is a productivity tool that allows you to mirror data stored on Box to your desktop so you can easily access and edit it from your computer regardless whether you are online or not. Any changes made while offline will be synced back to Box (and vice versa) the next time you are connected to the Internet.
Box Sync can be downloaded on multiple devices (i.e. your home computer and your work computer), whatever content you've chosen to sync from Box to one computer will be synced to any other device that has Box Sync installed on it.
View the Using Box Sync Tutorial for a great video walk-through of how to download and use Box Sync.
Download Box Sync:
- Click the appropriate link below to download the Box Sync application:
- Click the Box Sync installer file (located in your Downloads folder or whatever location you chose to save it) and follow prompts to install.
Log into Box Sync
After installing Box Sync you'll need to log in to your Box account from the Sync app to connect them. You won't have to log in from your desktop every time you use Box Sync, usually just the first time when getting set up.
- Open Box Sync (or you may be prompted automatically to Launch) if not, in Windows - click Box Sync
shortcut on desktop; in Mac - click icon in menu bar.
The Box Sync Login window opens.
- Click the Use Single Sign On (SSO) link located under the blue Log In button.
- In the window that opens:
Enter your @montana.edu email address and then click Log In.
The MSU Web login opens:
- Enter your NetID and NetID password.
In the Box Sync app window
- Make sure that the Synced slider is on.
- To open the Box Sync Folder, click the Settings tab. From here you can go directly to the folder and also see exactly where it is located on your computer.
Before you sync:
Box Sync will store a copy of any file you choose to sync, locally on your computer. While it is OK to store restricted data on Box it may not be appropriate to have on your computer. To learn more, visit Should I use the Box Sync app if I am storing restricted information?.
To sync files from Box to your computer
- Log into to your Box account at montana.box.com.
- Click once on the folder or file you would like to sync to select it, then right-click on it > select More actions > select Sync.
Do this for all of the items you'd like to sync.
To sync items from your computer to Box:
- Drag any file or folder you wish to put in Box into the Box Sync folder on your computer.
This will automatically sync it to Box.
You can also create new folders in your Box Sync folder. The folder and any items you save in it will also be synced to Box.
Box now supports real time document co-authoring through Office Online. This feature is now live and can be used today!
Some highlights about this feature:
- There is no need to convert a Microsoft Office document before working on it together (only Microsoft Office documents will work for this feature)
- The names of individuals editing a document appear in the upper right corner of browser when you open the document in Office Online
- Editor's cursors appear in a unique color with their name to show where each person is editing the document
- All edits are automatically saved
- Getting Started Guide for New Users - selection of articles to get you up & running on Box
- Box Community Training - an ever-growing library of great articles, tutorials and videos, part of the Box Community site
- Box University - online, self-paced, drop-in classes and scheduled events (for help logging in, see How do I log into Box U, below)