Getting Started with Box
Learn what's new in the new Box web experience!
Take a free online training course offered through Box University. For help logging in, see "How do I log into Box
- Getting Started Guide for New Users - selection of articles to get you up & running on Box
- Box Community Training - an ever-growing library of great articles, tutorials and videos, part of the Box Community site
- Box University - online, self-paced, drop-in classes and scheduled events (for help logging in, see How do I log into Box U, below)
How do I...
1. Go to https://montana.box.com
2. Click the Sign in with SSO link as shown in the image below.
2. Enter your Montana State email address (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) and click SIGN IN.
You will be taken to Montana State's Single Sign On page
3. Enter your NetID and NetID password. (example: a12b345)
After you have logged into montana.box.com once, the next time you log in will see the screen below. Click the Continue button.
Then proceed as in step 3 above.
- Go to https://training.box.com.
- Click the blue Log into Box button.
In the Log in to grant access to Box window that opens (see image below):
- Enter your @montana.edu (@student.montana.edu) address and NetID password.
- Click Authorize.
Box University will open.
Box integrates with other tools such as Microsoft Office products (e.g. Word, Outlook). Use one of the Office Box Applications for secure, supported integration. Check out the list and download these tools here: https://montana.app.box.com/services/browse/official
When a Box App is installed, users willl be required to "authorize" access for the App. Follow the instructions below to authorize this app.
1. When prompted, click on "use Single Sign On (SSO) link on the "Log in to grant access to Box" page
2. Input your firstname.lastname@example.org email address in the field and click "Authorize"
Box has apps for many mobile devices, such as Android tablets and phones and iOS devices. You can also use box.com's mobile site.
To install and use Box mobile apps, follow the instructions below. If logging in on the Box mobile website, start on instruction number 4(four).
1. Search for and install the Box App from the iTunes, Google Play store or the Windows Phone Store.
2. Once installed, open the app and swipe left until you reach the screen below (screen will have a login or sign up button)
3. Tap on Log In.
4. Select Use Single Sign On located below the Log In button.
5. Enter your .edu email address and tap Log In.
6. Enter NetID and NetID Password.
7. Tap Log In.
Box Sync is a productivity tool that allows you to mirror data stored on Box to your desktop. You can then navigate and modify content stored on the Box website through your computer’s native file browsing interface, without using a web browser. Content that syncs down to your computer are available for offline access. If you make changes to the synced files locally, these changes automatically sync back up to your Box account. You may download Box Sync on multiple devices (i.e. your home computer and your work computer) and your content will sync to all of these devices.
Should I use the Box Sync app if I am storing restricted information?
Please note, if you have sensitive or restricted data saved in your Box storage account please consider whether it is appropriate for these files to be synced to your devices.
To download setup Box Sync, follow the instructions below:
- Download the Box Sync application here (select either Sync for Windows or Mac based on your operating system): https://montana.app.box.com/services/browse/official
- Install the Program
- Open the Program "Box Sync"
- Click on "Single Sign On"
- Enter your Montana.edu email address and click "login"
- Enter your NetID and NetID associated password
- Make sure that the slider for synced is "On"
- Access synced folders by navigating to the "Box Sync" folder on your network drive
To select a folder to Sync to your local drive, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to montana.box.com and login (see above for login instructions if needed)
- Hover over folder you would like to sync, scroll to the more options drop down to the right and click
- Select "Sync folder to computer"
Box now supports real time document co-authoring through Office Online. This feature is now live and can be used today!
Some highlights about this feature:
- There is no need to convert a Microsoft Office document before working on it together (only Microsoft Office documents will work for this feature)
- The names of individuals editing a document appear in the upper right corner of browser when you open the document in Office Online
- Editor's cursors appear in a unique color with their name to show where each person is editing the document
- All edits are automatically saved