Montana State University Weapons Policy Exception Application
-The display of weapons in connection with university events or events contracted under the Facility Use Policy by third parties is permitted, if the advance written permission from the University Police Chief or designee is obtained. The University Police Chief shall provide notice to university administrators or employees who, in his or her discretion, should be advised of the granted exception.
-To obtain permission to display weapons, a written request must be presented to the University department with whom the 3rd party has contracted the event no later than 2 weeks prior to the move-in date of the event. This request will then be forwarded to the University Police Chief. If approved, a copy of the signed permit will be sent to the requestor and the department that is hosting the event.
-The University defines a “weapon” as an instrument, article or substance that is designed, used or likely to be used to cause bodily harm or property damage. Weapons include the following items: firearms, including rifles, shotguns, handguns; bowie, dirks and knives (other than kitchen knives) with blades four (4) inches or longer; explosives; swords; nunchucks, throwing stars and other martial arts weapons; crossbows, compound bows, recurve bows, and long bows; pepper spray (except for small, personal protection dispensers); BB guns; paintball guns; ammunition; and non-functioning replicas that could be confused with actual firearms.
-If permission is granted, weapons may be displayed under the following circumstances:
- A security check may be conducted prior to the event by University Police to insure compliance.
- A copy of the approved Permit to Display, as issued by the University Police Chief, is onsite with the weapon at all times and will be presented to University Officials, University Police, and event security when requested.
- Under no circumstance will firearm(s) be loaded.
- A trigger or action lock must be securely and properly installed on any firearm(s) the entire time it/they are on the University Campus.
- The weapon will not be left unattended for any amount of time.
- The weapon(s) will only be displayed in the specified event venue.Person displaying weapon(s) may not consume or be under the influence of alcohol while displaying weapon(s).
- Weapon(s) must be transported in a secure case or box while on Campus. Removal from case shall only occur in the display area.
- Ammunition of the same caliber as a firearm being raffled or displayed will not be allowed in the same general vicinity.
- By Board of Regents Policy, firearms carry is not allowed on the University property and includes people with a Concealed Handgun License.
denotes required fields.
If your event is going to be in the Strand Union Building, please submit this form
through any of the means below:
Email: Toni Lee ([email protected]) and Butch Damberger ([email protected])
Mailing Address: 211 Strand Union Building, PO Box 174150, Bozeman, MT 59717-4150
For questions regarding events in the Strand Union Building, please call Conference Services at 406-994-3081.
If your event is going to be in a Sport Facility, please submit this form through
any of the means below:
Email: Andy Shepardson ([email protected]) and Valerie Willcox ([email protected])
Mailing Address: #1 Bobcat Circle, PO Box 173380, Bozeman, MT 59717-3380
For questions regarding events in a Sport Facility, please call Sports Facilities at 406-994-7117.