Graduate Certificates in Science Education
Online graduate certificates in science teaching help educators gain knowledge and
competence in one of six specialized content areas. Whether you're teaching a new
subject, working toward "highly qualified" status, or staying abreast of your field,
our 12-credit graduate certificates will help you get there.
- Graduate Certificates in Science Education, offered through MSU's Master of Science in Science Education (MSSE) program, have been known since 1993 for high-quality online graduate level science courses.
- These science education certificates are designed for teachers of all backgrounds. Your fellow students will be K-12 teachers, community college instructors, museum professionals and informal science educators. As you learn along with peers from around the world, you'll absorb new ideas and fresh perspectives.
- Courses are rigorous, content-focused and specially designed for teachers. Our model pairs university professors with in-service teachers during course development.
- Our instructors are experts in their fields and have been specially trained in online teaching
- Courses are 100% online. You can complete your certificate at home without the need to come to campus. Interested students can also take advantage of the popular summer field and lab courses that utilize the diverse environment of Montana to teach scientific principlies and provide models of field-based instruction.
- Online courses are asynchronous, so students can log in any time of the day or night. To maximize interaction among students, instructors will set weekly schedules and assignment deadlines.
- The MSU Science Education team offers fast, friendly, one-on-one support. From the application process to completion of your certificate, our staff will be with you every step of the way.
Maximum of 4 credits from 400-level courses is allowed on a Certificate Program of Study.
Applicants should have:
- a bachelor's degree in science, science education, elementary/middle school/secondary education, or a related area. Please inquiry if you have a bachelor's degree in a field that is not listed and would like to apply.
- an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
If you have an undergraduate GPA that is less than 3.0, you may be admitted to the certificate program on a provisional basis. For more information please contact the program manager Holly Thompson at [email protected] or 406-994-7485.
Time to Complete
All coursework for a certificate must be completed within a 6-year window of time.
Most students will complete a certificate in 1-2 years. Because different students have different responsibilities at work and home, not all students will progress in the program at the same pace.
Students may transfer into the program a maximum of 3 graduate credits from courses earned as a non-degree seeking student. All transfer credit is subject to approval.
Online Course Logistics
Online courses are offered by asynchronous, computer-mediated communication. From their home, workplace, or other convenient location, students use a personal computer to connect with instructors and participants from across the country and around the world. Online courses may use manuals, textbooks, case histories, problems, computer software, databases, websites, evaluation activities, and other sources of information - but there are no lectures. Instructors and students work through the material together, discussing topics and issues by using a computer network that allows for private messages and group discussions. Courses are structured, but not conducted in real time; therefore, students can access the class at times during the day or night that are most convenient to them.
Graduate Science Teaching certificates are not licensing and/or endorsement programs. Students interested in initial licensure should check with the Department of Education in their states for local certification policies. Graduate Science Teaching certificate coursework could be used toward licensure/endorsements depending on the requirements of individual states.