Reports and Publications
- Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health (NIH). 2005. Talking With Your Doctor: A Guide for Older People. National Publication No. 05-3452.
- IOM. 2007. Cancer in Elderly People: Workshop Proceedings. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- IOM. 2009. Health Literacy, eHealth, and Communication: Putting the Consumer First: Workshop Summary. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- IOM. 2009. State of the USA Health Indicators: Letter Report. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- National Institute on Aging. January 2009. Exercise & Physical Activity: Your Everyday
Guide. NIA, NIH, USDHHS, Publication No. 09-4258
- National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health. 2008. Alzheimer's Disease: Unraveling the Mystery. USDDHHS; NIH Publication Number 08-3782
- Osborne, H. 2005. Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message. Boston, MA. Jones and Bartlett.
- Sandra Cornett, PhD, RN. The Effects of Aging on Health Literacy
- Susan L. Hughes, Rachel B. Seymour, Richard T. Campbell, Nancy Whitelaw, and Terry
Bazzarre. December, 2008. Best-Practice Physical Activity Programs for Older Adults:
Findings From the National Impact Study. AJPH
Online at http://www.ajph.org/cgi/reprint/AJPH.2007.131466v1 and on Newswire
- Schwartzberg, J., J. VanGeest, and C. Wang (Eds). 2005. Understanding Health Literacy: Implications for Medicine and Public Health. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association (AMA) Press.
- White, S. 2008. Assessing the Nation's Health Literacy: Key concepts and findings of the National Assessment of Adult Health Literacy (NAAL). American Medical Association (AMA) Foundation. Chicago, IL.
- Zarcadoolas, C., A. Pleasant, and D. Greer. 2006. Advancing Health Literacy: A Framework for Understanding and Action. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass/J. Wiley & Sons.33.
- Americas Health Literacy: Why We Need Accessible Health Information. 8 Page report,
produced and released by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.
- The Social Life of Health Information. The 72-page report is at:http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2009/8-The-Social-Life-of-Health-Information.aspx
- "An Aging World: 2008" This report, commissioned by the National Institute on Aging (NIA), NIH, was produced and released (July 20, 2009) by the U.S. Census Bureau. The full NIH News release is available at:http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jul2009/nia-20.htm
- Plain Language Thersaurus for Health Communications (2007) National Center for Health
Marketing, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), USDHHS.
- Glossary of Computer and Internet Terms for Older Adults - An Internet Course for Older Adults, Searching for Health Information Online; National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health (NIH), DHHShttp://nihseniorhealth.gov/toolkit/toolkitfiles/pdf/Glossary.pdf
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). 2008. Retooling for an Aging America. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12089
- Home Health Prospective Payment System. 2010. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Health Literacy Resources. 2008. VA Library Network.
- 2001 Health Literacy Program Video
"Low health literacy: You can't tell by looking" (18 minutes) AMA
- 2007 Health Literacy Program Video
"Health literacy and patient safety: Help patients understand" (23 minutes) AMA
- The Health Literacy Style Manual. 2005. MAXIMUS, Reston, VA
Updated: 06/14/2011 11:39:49