University Graduate Council
The following items have been posted by University Graduate Council for campus comment:
None at this time
These items are not yet approved by UGC. Please send any comments to your council representative. A list of representatives is available in Membership.
Fall 2015 UGC meetings have been scheduled from 1:00-2:00 p.m. on the following Tuesdays:
- September 1 agenda
- September 15 agenda
- September 29 agenda
- October 13 agenda
- October 27 agenda
- November 10 agenda
- November 24 agenda
All meetings will be conducted in Sherrick Hall room 114.
Purpose and Duties
The purpose of UGC is to facilitate graduate education at Montana State University and the specific duties are to:
- Advise the Dean of the Graduate School;
- Make recommendations about graduate programs and curricula and forward decisions to the Dean of the Graduate School;
- Promote graduate education and the success of graduate students;
- Evaluate graduate education to ensure quality and currency;
- Evaluate and make recommendations on creating and deleting programs and curriculum changes by departments and colleges;
- Consider issues raised by faculty or graduate students related to policies and procedures;
- Establish criteria for membership on UGC;
- Establish bylaws governing the organization of UGC, the frequency of its meetings, and procedures for the conduct of its meetings;
- Communicate with university stakeholders about changes in policies and procedures.
Each College at MSU is represented by one council member, except the Colleges of Letters and Science, Arts & Architecture, and Education & Health and Human Development who have two representatives each to better represent the dual disciplines in these colleges. Members must be tenured or tenure-track faculty. Each member has one vote. In addition to the college representation, there is one full-time graduate student, who is in good standing that represents the Graduate Student body. Ex Officio non-voting members include the Dean of the Graduate School the Vice-Chair of the MSU Faculty Senate and the graduate student representative.
Selection and Terms
Faculty members are selected through processes determined by each College and serve three-year staggered terms ending on June 30th. Any faculty member may be elected for two consecutive three-year terms after which the member shall rotate off UGC. The Graduate Student representative is selected by rotation among the Colleges and serves a one-year term. UGC members are expected to actively participate, regularly attend meetings, and keep their constituents informed about matters discussed before UGC.
UGC has two regularly scheduled meetings each month during the academic year. The dates and times of these meetings shall be set after consultation with UGC members. Meetings shall be held at the MSU Bozeman campus with off-campus members participating through teleconference or videoconferencing technology.