Graduate Program Application Process
Ph.D. in Psychological Science
Department of Psychology
Montana State University
Graduate Program Coordinator:
303 Traphagen Hall
Dr. Brandon G. Scott
Dear Prospective Student:Thank you for your interest in graduate study at the Department of Psychology Montana State University, Bozeman. We suggest all interested students do the following before applying:
- Review the Program Overview.
- Review the research areas and professors on the Psychology website.
- Review The Graduate School's website.
- Fill-out and submit the online application with the Graduate School.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETE AND SUBMITTED BY JANUARY 1st
Candidates requesting consideration for admission to the PhD program in Psychological Science, will need to complete this online application. Prior to completing the application, take time to review the research areas and the professors in the Psychology Department.
During the online application with the Graduate School, applicants must be prepared to submit (upload) the following application materials:
- Application and payment of a non-refundable application fee of $60.00. The fee must be paid before the application will be processed.
- Official transcripts. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded by the student during this online process, however MSU must receive official transcripts directly from the university(s) attended. Electronic transcripts can be sent directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to: MSU, Department of Psychology, 325 Traphagen Hall, Bozeman Montana, 59717-3440. Note: Applicants who are undergraduate alumni of MSU-Bozeman do not need to submit official transcripts, however please upload unofficial transcripts during the application process.
- Three (3) letters of reference. During this online process, applicants will be asked to provide information about their references. The electronic process will prompt each reference to (electronically) submit a signed reference letter. Letters should be written by people who are able to judge your ability to succeed in graduate school (e.g., your undergraduate professors, an advisor or supervisor during an internship, other faculty). Please do not ask for letters of recommendation from family members, friends, roommates, etc.
- Personal Statement: You will be asked up upload a 1-2 page personal statement that summarizes your academic background in psychology or related field, career plans, research experience, research interests, and why you are applying to the Ph.D. program in psychological science
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. These scores must be received directly from ETS. For Montana State University, the Institution code is 4488. The GRE subject test in Psychology is not required but but is recommended, especially for those not majoring in psychology.
- International applicants. In addition to the above, international applicants will be required to submit the
-- English proficiency scores (at or above): TOEFL , IELTS [level 6.5] or PTE , necessary for applicants who are not U.S. citizens and not from countries where English is the official language. This requirement is waived if the applicant has earned an undergraduate or graduate degree from an institution in the U.S. See International application process for further information.
-- Evidence of financial support.
-- Proof of funds (if self-funded)
-- Copy of applicant’s passport
-- Degree certificates as well as an English translation for all non-English academic transcripts and credentials. Photocopies can be used to initiate the application process, however official transcripts/credentials are still required upon admission