CPS is MSU’s center for mental health services. The staff at CPS is comprised of licensed psychologists and counselors with expertise in college student mental health and development. CPS provides free and confidential counseling services for students, including couples and group counseling options.  At times, students may be better served by community resources, and in those situations our Care Manager will work closely with students to facilitate that referral. CPS does not provide counseling services to faculty/staff, but MSU staff can utilize insurance or EAP benefits to obtain mental health services. 

Information for Faculty and Staff

Students of Concern

What to Do

At MSU we strive to create a culture where we support students who might be struggling. This includes reaching out if we see a student having difficulty, and knowing how to refer a student for support if they come to us for help.

  •  Respond with care, concern and empathy
  • Be direct. Ask how they’re doing and share specific concerns and observations
  • Tell them you are here to support their personal and academic success and offer whatever reasonable support within your role.
  • Ask directly if they have had recent thoughts of suicide. Asking someone about suicide doesn’t put the idea into their head, and will let you know the nature of the crisis and level of intervention needed.
  • Listen non-judgmentally. Allow them to express how they feel. Don’t discuss whether suicide is right or wrong or whether their feelings are good or bad.
  • Get help. Call CPS, a crisis line, or the police, especially if the student is in imminent risk
  • Offer hope that support and treatment can be helpful, and aid in getting them to CPS or other resources.
  • Don’t act shocked, uncomfortable, or irritated.
  • Don’t be sworn to secrecy. You and the student will need additional support. You cannot manage someone’s suicidal thoughts or mental health issues on your own.

Who to Call:

CPS staff is available to faculty/staff to answer questions about how to assist a student of concern, including how to intervene and refer them to counseling or additional support resources. Access a staff member by calling 406-994-4531.

 The Dean of Students Office is also a resource. If you remain concerned about a student and feel they need outreach, you can call Dean of Students staff at 406-994-2826, or use their online reporting form https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?MontanaStateUniv&layout_id=7

If you are helping a student who is in imminent risk (threatening immediate suicide, self-harm, or harm to others), or are unsure if they are safe, call UPD at 406-994-2121.

More information can be found on the MSU ASSIST page.

To access the Mental Health Resources and Crisis Protocol, click here.


Emergency Response

CPS is available for crisis intervention and risk assessment in emergency situations by calling CPS during business hours and UPD after hours. In the event of a student death or campus crisis, CPS provides on-site grief intervention, crisis intervention, and walk-in services, as well as consultation regarding student notification, grief/loss, education, and available campus resources.


Training and Education

CPS is available to speak to classes regarding mental health and developmental issues, as well as to provide training to faculty/staff departments regarding mental health, suicide prevention, and helping students of concern. To schedule training for a class or academic/campus department, call or email us at [email protected].


To access online Kognito training for suicide prevention, visit www.kognitocampus.com/login, create an account and enter the enrollment key: bozemanemployee



Counseling and Psychological Services 406-994-4531
University Police 406-994-2121
Dean of Students 406-994-2826
Bozeman Help Line 406-586-3333
National Lifeline 988
Crisis Text Line 741741


Information for Parents

Counseling & Psychological Services (CPS) is MSU’s resource for students’ mental health and developmental needs. We provide free counseling, consultation, and informational seminars to benefit students and the MSU community. CPS and its training programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association and the International Association of Counseling Services, and is a member of the Association of Counseling Center Training Agencies.

Who We Are  

The CPS staff is comprised of Master’s and Doctoral-level counselors and psychologists. Licensed by National and State agencies, CPS professionals are schooled in the fields of counseling and psychology from accredited training programs and have a special interest/expertise in college student development. CPS also hosts advanced graduate interns and professionals completing requirements for their degrees or licensure who are supervised by licensed staff members.


Students can receive free counseling services at CPS provided they are enrolled in at least 7 credits. Students who have fewer than 7 credits can receive services if they have paid the Student Health Fee.

Counseling Services

Free group, individual, and couples counseling is available for students on a variety of issues. Most students who utilize counseling discuss concerns related to anxiety, depression, relationships, past trauma, substance use, adjusting to college, academic/career choices, and identity. 

Referral Services

Because of the high demand for counseling services, we utilize a short-term counseling model that aims to resolve the student’s major concerns in about 6-10 sessions. Should students need additional services, they may be able to receive them at CPS, while at other times a referral to community agencies/providers might be provided. Such decisions are based on the resources available at the time and the unique needs of the student.

Continuation of Counseling or Medication Referral/Management

Many new students have had prior counseling or take medication. Students are encouraged to meet with a CPS counselor to determine the best course of action for establishing care at Counseling and Psychological Services for counseling or Medical Services for medication management.

Students in Distress/Emergency Situations

CPS is available to students and MSU staff in emergency situations. If you are worried about your student, you can receive consultation from a CPS staff member to discuss your concerns, learn how to be supportive, and discuss ways to encourage your student to seek help. While we don’t have the resources to “check in” on students who may be having difficulty, we will see students who come to our office in distress. Additionally, we work with concerned parties to determine appropriate resources for students in distress. 


Montana law grants invididuals who are 16 years or older the legal right to obtain confidential mental health services. 

All services at CPS are confidential, and CPS staff are legally and ethically bound to maintain students’ confidentiality. This means that CPS staff cannot disclose whether or not a student is receiving services, details of their concerns, or what transpires in counseling to anyone, including parents. Such disclosures can only be made if the student grants written permission at the time of services allowing us to do so.

In emergency or life-threatening crisis situations, confidentiality can be broken in order to protect the student. This can include university staff, community responders, or parents, depending on the nature of the situation and the needs of the student. In such cases, the information disclosed is limited only to what is necessary to protect the student and disclosed only to those who are best able to help. Efforts are made to help the student utilize all available resources, including parents and family.