What's an Assistance Animal?

Assistance animal or emotional support animal is an animal that works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified effects of a person's disability. An assistance animal is not a pet.


Assistance Animal/ESAs on campus

 In general, Assistance Animals are only allowed in University Student Housing. The Assistance Animal may not accompany the student outside the residential setting and are not allowed in other University buildings. 

To request a No Pet Waiver for Housing, a student should submit an Assistance Animal Request Form and submit a completed Student Intake Form to the Office of Disability Services.  Assistance animal requests are reviewed and approved by ODS, case-by-case through an interactive process. The request and review process must be completed prior to the animal arriving in housing. 

The request form must be completed by a qualified professional. They may answer on the form, or on official letterhead of the qualifying professional. The following questions need to be answered thoroughly:

  1. Please provide specific evidence that the disability results in a functional limitation requiring an assistance animal.
  2. Please provide specific details on work and/or tasks performed by the assistance animal for the individual with a disability.


If you are having any accessibility issues with the request form, need help filling it out or if you would prefer a paper copy please contact the Office of Disability Services for assistance. 406-994-2824