Confidentiality and Privacy of Records
Your right to privacy and confidentiality is a high priority at MSU's Office of Disability Services (ODS). All records are kept in a secure electronic database. Except as noted below, no information regarding a student's disability or use of services will be released to parties outside of ODS without prior written consent:
- General information concerning the student such as name and address will be released in the same manner as other student records. See the MSU Catalog for description of MSU's policy regarding the release of student records.
- Confidential information, such as the student's disability or use of ODS services, may be shared in the course of consultation with or referral to other appropriate professionals within MSU, when the person has a legitimate educational interest.
- For legally mandated audits and investigations.
- When required by court order or subpoena, the specific information requested will be released.
- In extreme situations where immediate harm to self or others may result, the law may require that essential information be reported to necessary agencies or parties.
- ODS student files are maintained for seven (7) years from the date of last attendance. At the end of the five year period, all records in the file will be destroyed. For this reason all students are advised to retain personal copies of all disability documentation submitted.