The Alternate PIN is your registration code and allows you to enroll in classes during the upcoming semester. To obtain your PIN, you need to meet with your academic advisor during the advising week. Prior to advising week, you will receive an email from your academic advisor regarding scheduling a meeting. If you don't see an email received from your advisor, then email the professor to request an advising appointment. Failure to schedule a meeting with your academic advisor during advising week can result in a lengthy delay in acquiring your PIN and registering for classes. You will not be able to obtain your PIN from anyone other than your assigned academic advisor.

For information on course requirements, visit the MSU Course Catalog.

To add a minor, complete the Change of Curriculum form and return it to the Registrar’s Office after obtaining the necessary signatures. Examples of declaring minors using the Change of Curriculum form are provided in the Forms section.

 Complete a Change of Curriculum form. You will need to submit the form to the Registrar's Office for official processing.

The DAEE requires additional courses in the arts, humanities, and social sciences fields. Students cannot double-count CORE 2.0 courses as also fulfilling the DAEE's elective requirements. Neither can ECNS 101IS and ECNS 204IS be double-counted toward both your major requirements and the DAEE's elective requirements.

Students majoring in Agricultural Business are required to take three (3) arts, humanities, and social science electives. Students majoring in Economics are required to take two (2) social science electives in the fields of anthropology, geography, political science, psychology, sociology, or history. It is up to you to choose courses that are of most interest.

An independent study course allows highly-motivated students to develop a unique curriculum for learning about a topic that may not be discussed in courses offered in the DAEE.An undergraduate research course allows highly-motivated students to develop a unique project for learning about and conducting research on an economic issue.Both provide opportunities for students to acquire a much more directed set of skills that may be most suited for their career after graduating from MSU.

The DAEE offers two types of independent study courses (ECNS 292 and ECNS 492) and two undergraduate research courses (ECNS 290R and ECNS 490R). In each case, both the lower 200-level course and the upper 400-level course can be used toward fulfilling your degree requirements. However, because each type of course will be unique to each student, discussing the opportunities with your academic advisor is recommended.  

Approval to allow this type of course to satisfy DAEE major or minor requirements must have permission from the DAEE Certifying Officer. To obtain this,  first complete a “Request for Independent Study” form and attach a written proposal detailing the exact activities that will result in credits. Email the request to the Certifying Officer, Dr. Isaac Swensen.

First, to check whether a course has been approved and transferred to MSU in the past, access the MSU Transfer Equivalency Guide. If the course you wish to take at another institution exists and is directly equivalent to the MSU course of interest, no further action is required.

If the course has been evaluated as an elective (ELEC), then unless any other action is taken, it will count as an elective and not necessarily be directly substitutable for an MSU course. For example, if a microeconomics course from an international university is evaluated to transfer to MSU as ELEC 200, then the credit hours from this course will count toward your 120-credit hour requirement, but will not count toward satisfying your economics, agricultural business, or financial engineering program requirements.

If you are not certain whether an economics or agricultural business course at another institution will fulfill the requirements of the Economics or Agricultural Business program, contact Dr. Isaac Swensen, our Certifying Officer,  with the following information: name and location of the institution, name and number of the course, and course syllabus (or at least a course description). If the course is evaluated as equivalent to a course in the Economics or Agricultural Business programs, you will receive a written course equivalency confirmation. It is always advisable to receive confirmation of course equivalency prior to taking a course at another institution.

If a student believes he or she knows the course material, then, as mandated by the Curriculum, Enrollment, and Graduation's "Advanced Standing by Challenge" policy, for any course in any department, the student may challenge the course.  To be successful, the student would have to perform satisfactorily on a comprehensive challenge exam that tests the student’s detailed knowledge of all the material in the challenged course. The challenge exam is composed by the DAEE resident instruction committee (RIC) by compiling questions from past comprehensive final exams. The completed challenge exams are then graded by members of the RIC and a course exemption is recommended for students who are able to demonstrate knowledge of course materials at least at the C level.

Please contact Dr. Isaac Swensen, Certifying Officer for more information about the challenge exam.

Only the ECNS 101IS course does not require a math pre-requisite. All other courses require that students are either co-registered or have completed at least M 121 (College Algebra), and many upper-division courses in the majors offered by the DAEE require students to complete at least one calculus course (M 161 or M 171). 

The MSU Math Placement Flowchart will give you an idea of which MSU mathematics or statistics course you can enroll in based on your current ACT or SAT Math scores. If you would like to enroll in a higher-level math course than your score allows, you can attempt a higher placement by taking the Math Placement Level Exam (MPLEX) during your Orientation session or by scheduling an appointment with Testing Services.

For more information about math placement, please visit the Admissions Placement Testing Page.


In DegreeWorks, you can view your academic advisor's information, notes from advising meetings, unofficial transcript, current GPA, academic plans, what-if scenarios, and your progress toward your degrees. For in-depth descriptions of these and other features, visit

In the Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics, we take academic advising seriously. Faculty advisors see it as their responsibility to guide you throughout your career at MSU. It is therefore important that you respect the time and commitment of your advisors. Please promptly schedule your meetings during advising week, email and explain your situation if you are unable to meet, and be prompt to your advising week appointments.

  • To find out who your advisor is, you can log on to MyInfo, click on the “Student Services” tab, and then click on “Show Advisor”. Another option is to go to DegreeWorks and look at “Advisor” under “Student View”.
  • To change your advisor, please contact the Student Success Coordinator to request a change of academic advisors.
  • To contact your advisor, visit our faculty and staff directory.Email is the best form of communication.
  • You can view your unofficial transcript by clicking the "Academic Transcript" link under “Student Services” in MyInfo.
  • If you were unable to complete a course due to a medical problem or other extenuating circumstance, you may receive an "I" (Incomplete) grade. Discuss this with your instructor. It is your responsibility to complete all the remaining course requirements by the date agreed upon with the instructor. Incomplete grades which are not made-up may lapse to an "F" grade.
  • If you think the grade you have received is incorrect, visit with your instructor to discuss it. If the instructor finds that a clerical error was made in grading your work, a grade change form can be processed. For grade appeal procedures visit  Conduct Guidelines and Grievance Procedures for Students
Students will be placed on academic probation at the end of any semester in which their cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) drops below 2.00 on a 4.0 scale.  For more information on what how to appeal suspension and be reinstated, visit MSU's Probation & Suspension Policy Guidelines.
  • To apply for graduation, you must meet with the DAEE Student Success Coordinator for two academic semesters (typically one year) before your expected graduation date. For example, if you plan to graduate in Spring 2020, you must meet with the Student Service coordinator to fill out the necessary paperwork (Application of Baccalaureate Degree) in Spring 2019.To meet with Student Success Coordinator, please schedule an appointment at the Appointment Scheduler.
  • Commencement information will be emailed to students' preferred email address listed in MyInfo 4-6 weeks before graduation. You may also visit MSU's Commencement Page for information regarding graduation. 
  • Inform the DAEE Student Success Coordinator as soon as possible if you plan to change your graduation term.
  • Holds are put on student accounts with unpaid bills to the university, such as library fines, parking tickets, and unpaid tuition or fees from past semesters. There are other reasons for a hold as well.  You cannot register for classes if you have a hold. If you have a hold on your account, you may also not be able to obtain a transcript or your grades. 
  • You can access this information via your DegreeWorks account by logging on to MyInfo and accessing the Student Services tab.
  • An internship is typically an opportunity to perform field work to gain practice for a career. Internships can be paid or unpaid. While the DAEE does not require an internship as part of its curriculum, they are encouraged.
  • A fellowship is a type of grant received to conduct either academic research or other professional work. Fellowships can be similar to internships in that they provide an opportunity to gain expertise in a professional field of interest. Fellowships are typically paid or provide some other type of monetary assistance (e.g., for housing, travel, etc.)
  • Find opportunities on ourInternships & Fellowships Page. 

You must speak to your instructor to make arrangements to take the exam.Please do your absolute best to inform the instructor prior to the exam about any conflicts that may prevent you from taking the exam during the normally scheduled time. 

However, if unexpected circumstances do arise that result in you missing an exam, please inform your instructor as soon as possible after the emergency. 

There are two computer lab areas in Linfield open for DAEE students: a large computer lab available for all MSU students on the 2nd floor (LINH 232) and a smaller lab for DAEE students on the 4th floor (LINH 409A). The computer lab on the 2nd floor is also available for instructors; therefore, there may be times when the lab is unavailable. To check the schedule for LINH 232, please visit  

Yes, Linfield 409A is the Department of Agricultural Economics & Economics (DAEE) Undergraduate Research Lab. The lab is open 8 am – 5 pm on every University class day.  Linfield 409A is available only for DAEE majors and minors.  The equipment includes six computers and one large digital screen.

Linfield 404 is the DAEE Teaching Assistants’ Office and most DAEE Teaching Assistants hold their office hours in Linfield 404.  Please check your ECNS or AGBE course syllabus for specific office hours of your Teaching Assistant(s).

Students are also welcome to study quietly at the tables in the open areas of the department on the third floor of Linfield Hall.