Students must send any official ACT/SAT scores and any final, official transcripts to MSU prior to Orientation/Class Registration so they can be used for placement purposes. If a student does not have official test scores nor college credit, alternative placement methods are outlined below.
If a student has test scores and/or college credit, MSU will use these to place students in the appropriate math course.
If a student does not have test scores and/or college credit, they will be required to take a math placement assessment through EdReady.
- This soft math placement exam will be available after November 15, 2021.
- Students will need to complete this placement exam prior to meeting with their Advisor. There will be ample outreach to students communicating the requirement to take the EdReady exam and how to login and access the exam.
- After a student completes the EdReady math placement, there will be a message informing
them of their designated math placement.
- If students are content with their math placement, they can exit the program.
- If students would like to increase their math level, students can opt into the EdReady study paths allowing them to study (20 hours or less) and potentially improve their math placement.
If a student has test scores and/or college credit, MSU will use these to place students in the appropriate writing course.
If a student does not have test scores and/or college credit, they will be required to take an online writing assessment available within the online Orientation pathway in CatsConnect.
- Students will need to complete this placement assessment prior to meeting with their Advisor.
- After a student completes the placement assessment, they will self-select into a writing class. Students will have a writing placement suggestion as soon as they conclude the assessment.
- A webCAPE, CLEP, or AP exam is required for students with previous experience (at least one year of high school language) wishing to take French, German or Spanish classes.
- To take an exam, students must go to ly/2vartoJ and create an account. The cost to take a webCAPE exam is $10.
- Students must print their results or take a screenshot/picture of the score and bring it to The Department of Modern Languages in Gaines 117 (phone: 406-944-4448, fax: 406-994-6199). Students seeking placement into Spanish must also complete an oral proficiency interview. After discussing scores and placement, the Department of Modern Languages will register students for appropriate classes.
- For more information regarding webCAPE, AP and CLEP exams, visit http://www.montana.edu/admissions/orientation/placement.html.