As outlined in the Montana State University Residence Hall Handbook, MSU assumes no financial responsibility over the personal property of residents nor will the institution be financially responsible for large-scale, unintentional damage caused to university property by on-campus residents, such as a fire or sprinkler-head flood.
GradGuard Renter’s Insurance is a smart investment for college students and their families. With the GradGuard Renter’s Insurance plan, personal items that are stolen or damaged by a covered cause of loss can be replaced, subject to a $100 deductible. GradGuard Renters Insurance also protects students financially from large scale, unintentional damage they may cause to their residence hall or bodily injury they may cause to others for which they are legally liable.
Features of GradGuard Renters Insurance for MSU students include:
- Low $100.00 Deductible. Compared to $500, $1000, or more for a typical homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Replacement Cost. If your personal property is stolen or damaged due to a covered peril, it will be replaced with an item of like kind and quality.
- Worldwide coverage – Your personal belongings are protected even away from campus.
- Electronics coverage – Your electronics, including your TV, laptop, smartphone and tablet, are covered up to the policy limits.
- Personal Liability Coverage. If you cause damage to university property or injure others, you may be liable for the damages. Renters Insurance from GradGuard provides up to $300,000 in personal liability coverage. For example, if you unintentionally set off your building’s sprinkler system, liability protection can help pay for the resulting damages.
- Alternative to Homeowners Insurance. Not all Homeowners Insurance policies are the same. Limitations may apply when property is away from the principal residence and some. Unlike Homeowners Insurance, your premium will not increase if you make a claim on the policy.
GradGuard Renters Insurance is underwritten by Markel American Insurance Company, Waukesha, WI. The advertised product is not available in AK, CT, and RI. Other program options are available for these states. Claims and coverage subject to policy, language, limits and exclusions.