**Please note: if you are trying to call the rental shop and are not getting through, please be patient and try again. We only have one line and will get to your call as soon as we can. Thank you!**
Thank you for your interest in renting from the ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program! During these unprecedented times, we are ever thankful for our wonderful community and the continuous support they have shown us over the past months.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we have created several measures to increase the safety of our employees and you, the customer. This page contains a lot of information, but all of it is vital to the continued success of our operation, so we thank you for taking the time to read through this information in its entirety. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call our shop at (406) 994-3621.
We will only be open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We are open from 10am-6pm on these days for call in reservations, and from 12pm-6pm for order pick up/drop off.
- Customers will be charged a 2-day rental rate for rentals from Monday-Wednesday, Wednesday-Friday, or Friday-Monday.
At this time, our entire inventory is available for rent, including tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads, which were not availalbe over the summer.
Fall 2020 Rental Policies:
In order to successfully reduce risk of exposure for our staff and customers as much as feasibly possible, the Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP) will take several steps to amend our previous rental flow for customers in order to limit contact between staff and customers. These policies are in addition to our normal rental policies, which can be found here: http://www.montana.edu/outdoorrecreation/Rentals.html
- Customers will need to know their size if renting an item with a correlating size (i.e. neoprene booties, waders, wading boots, or PFD’s). We will not be able to allow customers to try on equipment before renting.
- All rentals must be reserved in advance and paid for with a credit card orCatcardover the phone. Cash will not be accepted.
- Customers are asked to practice social distancing while picking up or returning gear.
- Customers will be asked to sign their rental agreement and waiver at the time of gear pick-up.
- At the time of reservation, customers will need to provide a pick-up timeslot. If you don’t have this information when you are making your reservation, you can call back up to 24 hours prior to your pick-up date and let us know.
- Customers will not be required to provide a gear return timeslot. Customers can return their gear on the designated day at any time between 12pm and 6pm.
- Add-on items will not be permitted at the time of gear pick-up. However, customers can call and add gear or change orders up to 24 hours prior to thedesignated pick-up time slot.
- Staff members will not be permitted to help load gear into a customer’s vehicle. Customers should come prepared with extra help if needed.
- The interior front doors of the ORP building will remain locked during operating hours and customers will not be allowed inside the facility for any reason. There will be a bathroom available for use to customers if needed.
- Masks are not required at the time of gear pick-up or return, but they are highly appreciated!
Gear Pick-Up and Return Flow:
Rental Pick-Up Flow
The customer calls and reserves gear over the phone. Payment in full is required at the time of reservation. Rental pick-up timeslot is arranged. A copy of the rental agreement and gear pick-up directions will be emailedto the customer.
The customer arrivesat their designated time slot and loads up their gear, which will be prearranged inone of our gear slots. The customer’s contract will be hanging above the gear stall.
The customer will look over the gear and ensure that everything is present. They willsign and date theirrental agreement and leave the signed agreement on the hanging clipboard.
The customer loads gear into their vehicle and the gear staff member maintains a six-foot distance away from the customer and their vehicle.
Rental Return Flow
The customer will pull up to the boat yard gate.
The customer will unload all gear into the boat yard while maintaining social distance from all ORP staff members.
The ORP staff will check over the returned equipment, ensuring all items are present and in good condition. On large orders, this could take up to 10-15 minutes, so please plan accordingly.
Gear Instructions and Tips:
Our staff will not be able to answer questions in person at the time of your gear pick-up like we normally would. The NRS website has lots of great tips and resources on watercraft, which are generally our most complicated rentals. Here are some videos to get you started:
Inflatable Boat Use and Care Instructions:
How to Adjust Raft Oars and Oar Mounts: