The Outdoor Recreation Program Rental Shop is now reopen in an adjusted format. Details below. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about your rental reservation. Thank you for your continued support, flexibility, and patience in thesechallengingtimes!
Thank you for your interest in renting from the ASMSU Outdoor Recreation Program! During these unprecedented times, we are ever thankful for our wonderful community and the continuous support they have shown us over the past months.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, we have created several measures to increase the safety of our employees and you, the customer. This email contains a lot of information, but all of it is vital to the continued success of our operation, so we thank you for taking the time to read through this email in its entirety. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call our shop at (406) 994-3261.
We will only be open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We are open from 10am-6pm on these days for call in reservations, and from 12pm-6pm for order pick up/drop off.
- Customers will be charged a 2-day rental rate for rentals from Monday-Wedneday, Wednesday-Friday, or Friday-Monday.
Summer 2020 Rental Policy Additions:
In order to successfully reduce risk of exposure for our staff and customers as much as feasibly possible, the Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP) will take several steps to amend our previous rental flow for customers in order to limit contact between staff and customers. These policies are in addition to our normal rental policies, which can be found here: http://www.montana.edu/outdoorrecreation/Rentals.html
- Customers will need to know their size if renting an item with a correlating size (i.e. neoprene booties, waders, wading boots, or PFD’s). We will not be able to allow customers to try on equipment before renting.
- All rentals must be reserved in advance and paid for with a credit card or Catcard over the phone. Cash will not be accepted.
- Customers are asked to practice social distancing while picking up or returning gear.
- Customers will be asked to sign their rental agreement and waiver at the time of gear pick-up.
- At the time of reservation, customers will need to provide a pick-up timeslot. If you don’t have this information when you are making your reservation, you can call back up to 24 hours prior to your pick-up date and let us know.
- Customers will not be required to provide a gear return timeslot. Customers can return their gear on the designated day at any time between 12pm and 6pm.
- Add-on items will not be permitted at the time of gear pick-up. However, customers can call and add gear or change orders up to 24 hours prior to the designated pick-up timeslot.
- Staff members will not be permitted to help load gear into a customer’s vehicle. Customers should come prepared with extra help if needed.
- The interior front doors of the ORP building will remain locked during operating hours and customers will not be allowed inside the facility for any reason. There will be a bathroom available for use to customers if needed.
- Masks are not required at the time of gear pick-up or return, but they are highly appreciated!
Gear Pick-Up and Return Flow:
Rental Pick-Up Flow
Customer calls and reserves gear over the phone. Payment is taken and directions are given. Rental pick-up timeslot is arranged. Customer receives email with relevent information and a copy of their order.
Customer checks in with staff member at welcome tent and is directed to which stall to park in.
The gear staff member arranges rental equipment in designated “stall”, along with copy of the rental agreement. The gear staff member will signal to the customer that it’s appropriate for them to approach the gear to check to ensure all items are present and correct. Customer will look over and sign their rental agreement.
Customer loads gear into their vehicle and the gear staff member maintains a six-foot distance away from the customer and their vehicle.
Rental Return Flow
Customer checks in with staff member at welcome tent and is directed to which stall to park in and which stall to unload their gear into.
Customer will unload all gear in the designated stall and move to a 6’ or greater distance.
The gear staff member will check over their equipment, ensuring all items are present and in good condition. On large orders, this could take up to 10-15 minutes.
The gear staff member will signal to the customer when they are all clear to drive away.
Gear Instructions and Tips:
Our staff will not be able to answer questions in person at the time of your gear pick-up like we normally would. The NRS website has lots of great tips and resources on watercraft, which are generally our most complicated rentals. Here are some videos to get you started:
Inflatable Boat Use and Care Instructions:
How to Adjust Raft Oars and Oar Mounts:
Available gear for summer 2020:
Rentable items include:
- Bikes – Mountain and Commuter
- Cook kits
- Dry Boxes
- Water jugs
- Bear Canisters
- Bear Spray
- Dry Bags
- White water Helmets
- Throw bags
- Fly fishing Gear
- Camp tables and Camp chairs
The Outdoor Recreation Program's Rental Shop offers students, faculty, staff, families, and other MSU affiliates access to a large inventory of outdoor equipment for all seasons. Our doors are open 6 days per week to support your adventures!
Visit us for access to fully-supplied Bike and Ski Shops, with assistance and shop services available upon request. Open year-round, we empower the MSU community to engage with the outdoors and develop meaningful skills for the classroom and beyond.
*You can also discover Clinics in topics from Basic Bike and Ski Maintenance, to Gear Repair and Technical Climbing Skills. Check back regularly for our most current schedule of upcoming Clinics!