The following resources are meant as a quick reference list for current undergraduate students in the Ecology Department. If you have questions or concerns about the following, please contact the Ecology Academic Coordinator.

Academic Resources

Campus Resources

 Biological Sciences concentrations in the catalog, which include a checklist of all courses required for your major option and additional information needed for completing this degree:

Ecology Student Clubs
Each of these clubs meets around monthly during the academic year, and students are able to participate in annual state chapter society meetings.

  • MSU Student Subunit of the American Fisheries Society: Check out their website or email for more information
  • MSU Student Subunit of The Wildlife Society: Follow them on Facebook, or email for more information

Job and Internship Opportunities

Announcements about job and internship opportunities that are currently available in the department and other related organizations are posted on our job board and sent out through a weekly digest email to the job email listserv. Some are also posted on the bulletin board in the Lewis 3rd floor hallway. All current Ecology students are included in this listserv and will receive all announcements. Students in other departments or community members who wish to receive announcements may email to request to be added to the listserv. Occasionally faculty or graduate students will post positions on the Hire-A-Bobcat job site, or may post open positions on their faculty webpages. Also see our Careers in Ecology page to browse options for future employment.

Getting Credit for Internships

Internship credits are available to Ecology students who can develop a suitable program of experience and study off campus. Students earn Internship credits through courses WILD 298 or 498 for students in the Fish & Wildlife Ecology & Management option, or BIOE 298 or 498 for students in the other three options of the Biological Sciences major. The 298 courses are available to freshman and sophomore students, and the 498 courses are available for students at junior or senior status.

The program must contribute to intellectual growth and development, have approval of Ecology faculty, include structured supervision by the employer, organization, or individual under which it is developed, and provide progress and final reports. Packets of information and forms to complete for each course are available in the Ecology Office, and are linked below.

Before the internship, students must find an Ecology instructor who will oversee their work, and get permission from their work supervisor (“collaborator”) to get credit for their work. Students must turn in several forms to the Ecology Department in order to be registered for credits by the Department. Students and Ecology instructors will work out together how many credits will be granted for the internship and will discuss specifics of reporting, evaluation, and grading. Students then interact with their instructor through bi-weekly progress reports. Once the internship is over, three evaluations must be completed: the student evaluates their own work, the on-campus instructor evaluates the student, and the collaborator evaluates the student. Once these evaluations have been turned in, the instructor submits a Pass or Fail grade for the student’s course.

WILD 298/498 Internship Forms for students in the Fish & WIldlife Ecology & Management major option
BIOE 298/498 Internship Forms for students in the other three Biological Sciences options

Getting Credit for Undergraduate Research

Students may earn credit in Undergraduate Research toward one of four courses: BIOE 290R, BIOE 490R, WILD 290R, or WILD 490R. Requests for credit must be accompanied by a written proposal describing the exact activities to be engaged in for the credits. The proposal must be presented to an instructor for review. If approved by the instructor, a statement must be attached by the instructor indicating the process to be used for evaluation of the student's achievement and assignment of letter grade. Proposal and evaluation methods are then submitted to the Department along with Request for Offering Undergraduate Research form (available in Ecology Office). After receiving Department Head approval, the Academic Coordinator will register the student in the course.

Undergraduate Research Request Form