Montana Dietetic Internship
Congratulations to our 2021 matched students! Both MDI cohorts have been filled for Spring 2021 Match.
Non-Degree Graduate Dietetic Internship (DI)
The Non-Degree Graduate Dietetic Internship (DI) starts in early August each year. The Non-Degree Graduate Dietetic Internship is a 36-week internship program consisting of a variety of supervised practice experiences.The initial orientation and professional development weeks as well as selected supervised practice experiences will take place at MSU-Bozeman and surrounding areas. After 5 weeks of orientation, professional development and sustainable food systems foundation and applied work, each intern will be assigned to a geographic region based on preference and preceptor availability. Interns successfully completing the MDI program will obtain a certificate (DI verification statement) that will qualify them to take the Registration Examination for Dietitians.
The concentration for this dietetic internship is Sustainable Food Systems. The Sustainable Food Systems foundation work and practicum will occur following the internship orientation at MSU-Bozeman. Interns will work at Towne's Harvest Garden, an experiential learning laboratory for students at MSU. Other experiences include tours and field trips of local farms, food production facilities, local food banks and other community organizations. Interns will also execute interprofessional projects such as Culinary Medicine sessions with medical and nursing students, and research and teach peers about food system issues and how they relate to the dietetics profession.
Want to learn more about how our program works? Watch our 2020 Virtual Open House.
2021/2022 Program Dates
Early August 2021 – May 2022 (exact dates TBD)
Holiday Breaks: November 22-28, 2021 and December 20, 2021- January 3, 2022
The Non-Degree Graduate DI consists of 36-weeks of supervised practice and does not follow the MSU-Bozeman academic calendar. Any additional holidays will be determined by preceptor schedule but are not guaranteed.
The initial five weeks of orientation, professional development and sustainable foods foundation and applied weeks will take place at MSU-Bozeman and surrounding areas.
Interns will be assigned to one of eight geographic regions in Montana or Wyoming for the remainder of their supervised practice hours. Locations in Montana include Billings, Butte, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula. Locations in Wyoming include Sheridan and Gillette. Interns can indicate their top two location choices in the MDI application.
During the internship, interns will complete 12 non-degree graduate credits. The coursework includes Food Systems Leadership for Nutrition Professionals and Dietetic Professionalism/Supervised Practice. During the internship, online class will occur once a week. Our online class will include professional presentations, written research papers, assigned readings, group projects and guest lectures.
- Food Service Management
- Clinical Nutrition
- Community Nutrition
- Sustainable Food Systems concentration
- Proof of a bachelor’s degree in nutrition and/or dietetics from an ACEND accredited program, or proof of a master’s degree in nutrition and/or dietetics and/or related major from an accredited college or university is needed. Proof of earned degree will be provided by a final transcript. (Alternatively, prospective students may have earned a bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field but completed post-baccalaureate didactic coursework in dietetics from an accredited college or university).
- Verification statement (or declaration of intent) from an accredited didactic program.
- Preferred 100 hours of volunteer or work experience in food, nutrition and/or dietetics.
- Three references from dietetic professionals, faculty and/or employers.
- GRE is not required for the DI program
- Application will be evaluated based on a variety of factors including scholastic achievement, work/volunteer experience, professional references, leadership abilities and program fit.
To learn about the Montana Dietetic Internship program costs, please visit the MDI Program Costs Page .
To view the printable program handbook, please visit the MDI Program Handbook Page.