Mandatory Fee Descriptions
The Tuition and Fees on the student bill is the total of the tuition fee, registration fee, building fees, computer fee, ASMSU fees, health and dental fees, equipment fee, information technology fee, and athletic fee.
Tuition is a mandatory per credit hour fee based on the number of credits selected and the status of the student (resident, non-resident, Western Undergraduate Exchange Program, graduate or post-baccalaureate). On the fee chart, the Non-Resident tuition fee consists of the Resident Fee (paid by resident students) plus the Non-Resident Fee, which is the portion of the Tuition Fee covered on behalf of resident students by Montana state taxes.
Registration Fee (TREG) is a non-refundable processing fee of $30.00 charged each semester the student registers for classes.
The Building Fees are mandatory per credit hour fees and are used to repay bonds that financed the construction and/or remodeling of university buildings. Students have also voted to continue paying some building fees for major maintenance needs after the bonds have been repaid. Building Fees are currently divided into three categories: Building Fees, Student Union Fees (SU), and Student Facilities Enhancement Project (SFEP).
The Building fee category consists of:
- PE Building (TBL3): Primarily debt, then operations and maintenance of the Field House building structure.
- Student Building (TBL1): Primarily debt, then operations and maintenance of any building (other than administration).
- PE Complex (TBL6): Primarily debt, then operations and maintenance of the Field House, gyms, etc.
- Building R&R (TBL8): Repair and maintenance not covered by the State for classrooms and academic buildings.
- Weight Room O&M (TBL9): Debt for construction of the student weight room.
The SU category consists of:
- Health Operations (TBL5): Pays for the utilities and operations of the health building.
- SUB O&M (TB01): Maintenance of the SUB building.
- SUB Ops (TBL4): Pays for the utilities and custodial services in the SUB building.
The Student Facilities Enhancement Project (SFEP) was for the renovation of the SUB, Procrastinator Theatre, the Health and PE complex, and the new Wellness Center. The SFEP category consists of:
- Student Facilities Enhancement (TSFE): To repay Series J debt for the project.
- H&PE O&M (TB02): Operations and maintenance of the renovated Health and PE center - does not include replacement of the health center equipment.
- Wellness Center Debt Service (TB03): To repay debt for the project.
- Wellness Center O&M (TB04): Operations and maintenance of the new Wellness Center
In addition to the building fees above, a Non-Resident Building Fee is charged to non-resident students. The Non-Resident Building Fee is that portion of bonds that are covered on behalf of resident students by Montana state taxes.
Computer Fee (TCMP) is a mandatory per credit hour fee used to provide and enhance student computer labs
The Associated Students of Montana State University (ASMSU) Fees are mandatory fees charged to students registered for seven (7) credits or more. Payment of the ASMSU Fees entitles the student to participation in ASMSU student government and use of gym, swimming, weight room facilities, day care facilities, legal aid, tutoring, and other sponsored activities. ASMSU Fees are set by student vote and consist of the following fees:
- Activity Fee (TACT): Provides for the operation of the student government and its committees.
- Intramural Fee (TIML): Contributes to the operational cost of the intramural facilities and programs.
- Student Sustainability Fee (TSSF): Contributes to the promotion and implementation of sustainable practices.
- Student Organization Fee (TSOF): Supports registered student organizations.
- Student Press Fee (TSPF): Funding for the student newspaper, The Exponent.
- Bus Fee (TBUS): Helps fund a local bus system for students.
- Student Leadership Fee (TSLF): Provides funding to the MSU Leadership Institute.
- Outdoor Recreation Program Fee (TREC): Funding for the Outdoor Recreation Program.
- Recreational Facilities Project Fee (TRFP): Funds the construction of a synthetic turf field and supporting infrastructure.
- Recreational Facilities Operations & Maintenance (TRFM): Funds for the operations/maintenance after construction.
Health Fee (THSF) is a mandatory fee charged to students registered for seven (7) credits or more.
Dental Fee (TDNL) is a mandatory fee charged to students registered for seven (7) credits or more. The Health and Dental fees are used for maintaining the Student Health and Dental Clinic.
Equipment Fee (TEQP) is a mandatory per credit hour fee used to provide and enhance classroom and student lab equipment.
Information Technology Fee (TITF) is a mandatory per credit hour fee for partial funding of the student administrative software.
Athletic Fee (TATH) is a mandatory fee charged to students registered for seven (7) credits or more and is used to support the Bobcat Athletic program.
Student Medical Insurance is a mandatory medical insurance program (by ASMSU vote) for all students registered for six (6) credits or more. Students may waive the insurance if they have other medical insurance. Please contact the Student Insurance Office at 104 Swingle or 994-3199 with questions.