FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Montana State University's FAFSA school code is 002532.
**New! Important Information** The FAFSA for the 2024/2025 academic year is delayed. The opening will likely be sometime in late December 2023. Refer to this page for updates. Subsequent years should see the FAFSA open again on October 1st. The priority filing date for 2024/2025 is February 1st, 2024. To considered for best financial aid package apply by this date.
Filing your FAFSA by MSU's priority date ensures that you will receive the best possible aid offers from limited funding sources such as Supplemental Grants and Work Study awards. The 2024/205 FAFSA will use income from the 2022 calendar year. There will be a new required integration with the IRS for those that have filed federal tax returns. Other notable changes:
- The FAFSA application process will be streamlined and easier for students to complete.
- New terminology will be added to the FAFSA.
- Eligibility for federal financial aid will be expanded.
- Streamlined Application Process: fewer questions, fewer requirements and enhanced exchange of income with the IRS.
- Invitations to parent(s) or a spouse will be done by invitation and they will be known as contributors.
- Students and contributors will need FSA ID’s. Create one now if you don’t already have one.
- Contributors will be required to provide consent to use required tax and financial data. Lack of consent will result in a rejected FAFSA.
At Montana State University, we encourage students and families to make informed decisions about financial aid. We highly recommend that you borrow only the amount of loans you need to successfully complete your education.
Need help completing your FAFSA? Free help is available!
- Call (406) 994-2845 or stop by our office in Montana Hall Room 21.
- Visit the U.S. Department of Education FAFSA Help site.