1. Apply for a free FSA ID number (formerly FAFSA PIN) to electronically sign your FAFSA. Your parent, if you are a dependent, needs their own FSA ID.

  2. Submit your free FAFSA on https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa . MSU's priority filing deadline is December 1st.  File early to get the best possible aid offer.

  3. Receive and review your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Department of Education Processor. This generally takes 1 - 2 weeks. Review it carefully!  If there are any corrections needed, log back in to your FAFSA, make the corrections and resubmit your free FAFSA application.

  4. Read all communications received from the Office of Financial Aid Services and provide any requested documentation promptly.  Most communications will be sent by email.  Always keep your contact information up to date in the Personal Information tab of My Info.  You can also view any unsatisfied requirements in the My Eligibility section of your My Info account.

  5. You will receive an email with instructions on how to view and accept your financial aid award letter in your My Info account. You need to respond to the award notification within 30 days or the offered aid is subject to cancellation.  Accepting your aid does not confirm your bill (pay your fees) with the Student Accounts Office.

  6. If you are accepting a Federal Direct Loan for the first time, you will need to complete Entrance Counseling and sign your Master Promissory Note on StudentLoans.gov. If you are accepting a Nursing or Perkins Loan, additional information will be sent to you by mail from the Office of Financial Aid Services. Complete and return this information promptly.  If you have accepted the Parent PLUS Loan your parents will need to request the loan and complete a Master Promissory note on StudentLoans.gov.

  7. Confirm your Bill (pay fees) with the Student Accounts Office each semester.  Neglecting to do so will prevent your financial aid from crediting to your account.

  8. All financial aid awards, except Work Study, are applied to your university account/bill.  The Student Accounts Office will deposit any residual aid funds (refund) in your bank account if you are signed up for direct deposit or will mail your refund check to you.

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid Services with any questions or concerns. We are here to help you achieve your educational goals!