In order to succeed academically at the graduate level, students must have strong English language skills. All students must meet the university minimum score requirements indicated below; however, many graduate programs have higher score requirements. It is important that you contact your department directly to learn their minimum score requirements.

Internet-based TOEFL Test (iBT) 80
Paper-based TOEFL Test (PBT) 550
PTE Academic 54

Score Submission


Arrangements to take the TOEFL can be made at this website. There, you can also find out more information about this examination. Allow sufficient time for test registration procedures (about one month) and score results (one additional month). Entering the Montana State University school code (4488) on the test form will ensure that an official score report is sent directly to the Office of Admissions. Scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the MSU Office of Admissions. Official score reports can be ordered via the TOEFL website.


IELTS is a program jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council, and IDP Education Australia (IELTS Australia). To register for the exam, please go to: Graduate applicants need to order the official score report to be sent directly to The Graduate School. The address is: 

Montana State University Bozeman
The Graduate School
108 Montana Hall
P.O. Box 172580
Bozeman, MT 59717 USA

PTE Academic

PTE Academic scores must be sent through PTE's secure portal. Read the instructions below or watch the step-by-step instructional video.

  1. Visit and click on 'My Account' to login
  2. Click 'Send Scores'
  3. Type Montana State University in the field marked 'Institution / Organization / Department / School' and click 'Search'
  4. Tick the box next to the MSU's name when it appears in the list
  5. Review your details then scroll down the page and click 'Next' and 'Next' again to confirm

Exemptions from Providing Proof of English Proficiency

If you have received a high school, bachelor's, master's, or doctorate degree from an institution in the United States or a country listed below, an English proficiency examination is not required.  Please see the list below.

Falkland Islands
Antigua & Barbuda
New Zealand
St. Kitts & Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Trinidad & Tobago
British Virgin Islands
Isle of Man
Turks & Caicos Islands
Canada (except Quebec)
United Kingdom
Cayman Islands
United States Territories


NOTE: The Office of International Programs reserves the right to request students to submit proof of English proficiency, even if they meet the above-mentioned requirements.