Bylaws of the Montana State University Student Subunit
American Fisheries Society
Section 1. NAME AND OBJECTIVES
- The name of this organization shall be the Montana State University Student Subunit of the American Fisheries Society, herein referred to as MSUAFS. The MSUAFS operates under the auspices of the Montana Chapter of the American Fisheries Society.
- The objectives of MSUAFS shall be those of the American Fisheries Society (AFS) as set forth in Article I of the Constitution, and especially, to encourage the exchange of regional fisheries information among students and Subunit members as well as encourage student involvement in the Chapter, Western Division, and Society.
- All activities of this subunit shall conform to the Society's Constitution, Rules and Procedures.
Section 2. MEMBERSHIP
- The membership of MSUAFS shall be composed of those Montana State University (MSU) students and alumni who are active members of the Montana Chapter of AFS.
Section 3. MEETINGS
- The MSUAFS shall hold at least one meeting annually at a time and place designated by its Executive Committee.
Section 4. OFFICERS
- The officers of the Subunit shall consist of, at least, a President, a Vice President, and a Secretary-Treasurer, although the latter position may be split between two people, if desired.
- Officers shall be elected in the Spring Semester no later than one week prior to the annual Montana Chapter meeting. Officers may serve more than one term. If an office is vacated, the Executive Committee shall appoint a qualified replacement to fill the remainder of the term.
Section 5. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- The President of MSUAFS shall preside at all meetings, chair the Executive Committee, serve as a voting member on the Montana Chapter's Executive Committee, make appointments and perform other duties and functions as authorized by the MSUAFS Executive Committee.
- The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President if the latter is unable to act.
- The Secretary shall keep the official meeting records, submit minutes of meetings to the membership and discharge other duties as requested by appropriate Society officers.
- The Treasurer shall keep the official financial records, disburse funds as authorized by the Executive Committee or the membership, submit a record of receipts and disbursements at meetings and discharge other duties as requested by appropriate Society officers.
Section 6. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The Executive Committee (EXCOM) of MSUAFS shall consist of elected officers, a faculty advisor and other members as may be appointed and charged by the President in consultation with the faculty advisor. The executive committee is authorized to act on behalf of MSUAFS between meetings.
Section 7. SUBUNIT COMMITTEES
- Committees and Chairpersons of committees, except as listed in Section 5 and 6 of these bylaws, shall be appointed and charged by the President. Except for Standing Committees, these committees shall cease to function upon the discharge of the duties for which they were appointed.
Section 8. VOTING AND QUORUM
- All decisions at meetings are decided by a simple majority vote, except for bylaw revisions.
- Unless otherwise specified in these bylaws or the Constitution of the Society, meetings are conducted according to the latest edition of "Robert's Rules of Order".
Section 9. DUES AND FEES
- The Executive Committee shall establish annual dues subject to approval of the members voting at the annual meeting.
- The Executive Committee may assess registration fees for annual meetings or events.
Section 10. AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
- The Bylaws of MSUAFS may be amended by a two-thirds majority approval of those members voting. If voting is by mail ballot, members must be given at least 30 days to return their ballots.