Useful Links and Resources
Montana State University Student Research Assistant and Technician Opportunities
- None Right Now! Come back soon for updates.
- Have a job to post? Contact us a [email protected].
Federal Job Links
State Job Links
- Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks
- Idaho Fish and Game
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Wyoming Game and Fish
- American Fisheries Society job board
- Texas A&M University, Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences job board
- Montana State University Ecology Department job board
- Conservation Job Board
Diversity and Inclusion Resources
Interested in expanding your understanding of equity issues in fisheries? Please take a look at some of these resources!
AFS Diversity and Inclusion Resources
The Equal Opportunities Subsection (EOS) of the American Fisheries Society aims to "increase the representation and involvement of diverse ethnic/racial groups and females in the American Fisheries Society."
The EOS toolkit is a great resource to access peer-reviewed literature, videos, etc. on AFS diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Western Division of AFS
The Western Division of AFS (WDAFS) founded the Diversity and Inclusion Committee in 2017. Their website is a great resource to learn about the history of the group and to keep up to date with their current initiatives!
Diversity & Inclusion Service Award
The WDAFS Diversity & Inclusion Committee presents this award to an AFS Member exhibiting strong evidence of service and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within the fisheries profession. Self- nominations and peer-nominations will be accepted and multiple nominations are encouraged. Partial reimbursement for meeting registration and travel costs may be available based on need.
*NEW* Diversity & Inclusion Mentorship Award (formerly Diversity and Inclusion URM travel grant)
The WDAFS Diversity & Inclusion Committee presents this award to a promising student or early career professional interested in developing diversity, equity, and inclusion leadership skills. The award recipient will receive up to $1,000 (USD) for meeting registration, travel costs, and one year of AFS membership (if needed). For the duration of the year, the award recipient will receive mentorship by Diversity and Inclusion Committee members and have the opportunity to participate in Committee activities. Application materials should include a cover letter detailing the applicants interest in fisheries and in developing diversity, equity, and inclusion-related leadership skills, and any additional materials as needed (e.g., letters of recommendation, resume, etc.). We highly encourage application packets from individuals belonging to historically underrepresented minority groups in the fisheries field.
To nominate an individual for the Diversity & Inclusion Service Award or theDiversity & Inclusion Mentorship Award, please send your nomination packets to [email protected].
Other Diversity Resources
Anti-Racism in STEM by Maya Gosztyla, Lydia Kwong, Naomi Murray, and Claire Williams
- Interested in learning more? Check out this great list of anti-racism resources!
- Territorial Acknowledgement by Allison Jones et al.
- Michigan State University Guide to Land Acknowledgements
- How should Scientists acknowledge Indigenous Peoples in their research? By Dr. Sue Jackson
- Check out native-land.ca as a starting point to learn about local Indigenous territories and languages
- Become a pen pal with elementary students through the Letters to a Pre-Scientist program!
- Find diverse perspectives for panels, articles, speakers and more with resources like Request a Woman in STEMM & DiversifyEEB
- Check out this compilation of articles on Achieving Diversity in Research put together by Nature and Scientific American
- Read perspectives from LGBTQ+ scientists on 500 Queer Scientists!
Resources on Unconscious Bias
- Outsmart Your Own Biases by Jack B. Soll, Katherine L. Milkman, & John W. Payne
- Strategies for Confronting Unconscious Bias by Kathleen Nalty
- What is Unconscious Bias in Recruitment? By Liz Burton
- Types of Unconscious Biases and How to Counteract by Ryerson University
- Test your own Implicit Biases with Project Implicit
Anthony-Stevens, V., & Matsaw, S. L. (2019). The productive uncertainty of indigenous and decolonizing methodologies in the preparation of interdisciplinary STEM researchers. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 15(2), 595–613. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11422-019-09942-x
Baker, K., Eichhorn, M. P., & Griffiths, M. (2019). Decolonizing field ecology. Biotropica, 51(3), 288-292. https://doi.org/10.1111/btp.12663
Demery, A.C., Pipkin, M.A. Safe fieldwork strategies for at-risk individuals, their supervisors and institutions. Nat Ecol Evol (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-01328-5
Gewin, V. How to include Indigenous researchers and their knowledge. Nature - Career Feature. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00022-1
Miriti, M. N., Bailey, K., Halsey, S. J., & Harris, N. C. (2020). Hidden figures in ecology and evolution. Nature Ecology & Evolution, 1-1. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-1270-y
Murphy, C. A., Zatkos, L., Antonelli, K., Cárdenas, A. B., Linkem, C., Manning, M., ... & Arismendi, I. (2020). AFS Roots: Mothers of Fishes. Fisheries, 45(7), 369-376. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsh.10485
Penaluna, B. E., Arismendi, I., Moffitt, C. M., & Penney, Z. L. (2017). Nine proposed action areas to enhance diversity and inclusion in the American Fisheries Society. Fisheries, 42(8), 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1080/03632415.2017.134554
Reid, A. J., Eckert, L. E., Lane, J. F., Young, N., Hinch, S. G., Darimont, C. T., Cooke, S. J., Ban, N. C., & Marshall, A. (2020). “Two-Eyed Seeing”: An Indigenous framework to transform fisheries research and management. Fish and Fisheries, April, 1–19. https://doi.org/10.1111/faf.12516
Wong, C., Ballegooyen, K., Ignace, L., Johnson, M. J. (Gùdia), & Swanson, H. (2020). Towards reconciliation: 10 Calls to Action to natural scientists working in Canada. FACETS, 5(1), 769–783. https://doi.org/10.1139/facets-2020-0005