Read this entire page - it provides all of your next steps for addressing holds, signing up for orientation, registering for classes, and more!

Before you can register, you will need to accept the offerthrough the admissions portal If you have accepted your offer, the Graduate School will process your request. Once processed, you will receive an email confirmation, which may take up to 5 days.

Space is limited, consider applying at Family & Graduate Housing as soon as possible after receiving your offer of admission.If your program requires you to be on campus prior to the start of your admission term, notify Family & Graduate Housing Office.

1. Clear Holds: You cannot register for classes UNTIL all holds have been cleared:

  • ALL STUDENTS will have an Immunization & Tuberculosis Hold  which will prevent registration. Use the following link to download the forms you will need to submit to Student Health Service. If you have any questions, be sure to direct them to: Student Health Service.The Graduate School cannot assist with any Student Health Services holds. If you decide to submit your forms, you can email them to:
  • If you received a Conditional Admission (as noted on your decision letter). If so, it may mean that you are missing certain official documents that may inhibit your ability to register such as:
  1. Transcripts: An official transcript(s) is required by The Graduate School; a hold will be put in place preventing the student’s ability to register. If official transcripts were sent prior to completing your bachelors degree you will be required to submit an additional, official transcript showing the degree conferred with final grades posted. Applicants who are alumni of MSU do not need to submit official transcripts. 
  2. Examination scores: If a student has not submitted an official score report (if required), e.g., Graduate Records Exam (GRE), English proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) if an international student, The Graduate School will place a hold preventing the student’s ability to register.

2. Training & Orientation: 

As a new graduate student to MSU, you will need to attend the new graduate student training and orientation. This is a mandatory training and covers the following topics: FERPAResidencyTitle IXOffice of Research Compliance & Ethical ConductDisability Services, Veteran Services, and other important information necessary for all new graduate students.

The following day is a non-mandatory GTA training.  We encourage all new GTA's to rsvp and attend. You can attend this training any time during your graduate career.  Training may include topics such as Teaching on D2L, Using Technology in the Classroom, Effective Teaching Styles, The Do’s and Don’ts of Being a GTA.

3. MSU- Required Prevention Education Courses (AlcoholEdu for College, Sexual Assault Prevention (previously called Haven), and Transit)

The Commissioner of Higher Education has mandated all new, incoming students to Montana State University (regardless of age) are required to complete an authorized program in alcohol education, sexual assault awareness and prevention, and financial literacy. Please see this link for information on how you complete this module, dates and deadlines. You will receive an email prompting you to log in and complete this requirement when the courses are open to you. Participation in this program is not an elective; if the modules are not completed in the time allotted, a hold will be placed on your ability to register for the following term. If you have any questions on the programming that we offer, please feel free to contact the MSU Prevention Staff at:

 4. Before you get started on Registering, take a look at the following links:

NOTE: If you are not allowed to register for a course due to prerequisites, please contact the department offering the course. The department will need to determine if you met the prerequisites and then can assist with your registration. 

5. Steps to Registering as a Graduate Student:

We want to make registration at MSU a simple process. Step-by-step instructions for our online registration system are provided below; please read and follow each step. If you are unsure the courses you should take, please consult with your department or your advisor.

  1. Go to and click on “My Info.” If you do not see "MyInfo" along the top bar- to the right of the MSU logo, select the "students" option in the upper left side of your screen.
  2. Click on “Log into MyInfo.”
  3. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS at the top of the MyInfo page! 
  4. Once logged in, select the "Student Services Tab"
    1. Click on “Registration.”
    2. Click on "Select Term" and verify that your term of admission is selected; then click "Submit."
    3. Click on “Add/Drop Classes.”
    4. Click on “Select Term” and select appropriate term.
    5. Enter your Alternate Pin Number: 423185; do not be confused with the number you used when you logged into MyInfo. This number is used for the first time you register. For future terms, you will meet with your program adivsor for future advising/registration pins.
    6. Find your course(s) by clicking on “Class Search” and add the course(s) to your class schedule by entering the 5-digit Course Registration Number (CRN).
    7. Recheck your registration for accuracy by clicking on “Student Detail Schedule.” 

6. NetID & Email Address:

Please follow the following links where you can acquire your MSU Net ID or MSU email addressYou will need both as an active graduate student (i.e., someone who is enrolled) at MSU.  

7. Cat Card

The CatCard is your identification card for Montana State University-Bozeman. You can use the CatCard to enter buildings, such as the Renne Library, access Rec. Sports & Fitness Center (when applicable), and other areas on campus.  As a new graduate student, you were automatically charged a $15.00 fee. Please take a valid government-issued photo ID with you to the CatCard office. A CatCard cannot be issued without photo verification.

8. Cost of Courses, Financial Aid, Paying your Bill and more

Please see the following for:

9. Cannot attend the term you were admitted? Request a deferral: 

This request must be made in writing to both The Graduate School and the admitting department (email is acceptable). If approved, a deferral can be for up to one (1) year (two (2) terms, not including summer term.

Note: Some departments will not allow a newly admitted student to defer their starting term.


Please look at this link to learn more on steps to completing a master's or doctoral degree.

Link to MSU's Graduate School Policy and Procedures.

Follow Us on  Twitter  and Facebook