New Non-Degree Students
Read this entire page - it provides all of your next steps
for addressing holds, signing up for orientation, registering for classes, and more!
Before you can register, you will need to accept the offerthrough the admissions portal.
BE ADVISED: You cannot move further in this process until you accept your offer.
If you have accepted your offer, and received the email confirming your application has been processed, please continue on this page. If you have not yet received this email and it has been more than 5 business days since accepting your offer, please contact The Graduate School at 406-994-4125.
Space is limited, consider applying at Family & Graduate Housing as soon as possible after receiving your offer of admission.If your program requires you to be on campus prior to the start of your admission term, notify Family & Graduate Housing Office.
1. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER for classes UNTIL you clear all holds:
- ALL STUDENTS will have an Immunization & Tuberculosis Hold which will prevent registration. Use the following link to download the forms you will need to submit to Student Health Service. If you have any questions, be sure to direct them to: Student Health Service, The Graduate School cannot assist with any Student Health Services holds. If you choose, you can complete the forms and email them to: email@example.com.
- SOME students will have been admitted on a Conditional Admission. If so, it may mean that you are missing certain official documents that may inhibit your ability to register, such as:
Transcripts: An official transcript(s) is required by The Graduate School; a hold will be put in place preventing the student’s ability to register. If official transcripts were sent prior to completing your bachelors degree you will be required to submit an additional, official transcript showing the degree conferred with final grades posted. Applicants who are alumni of MSU do not need to submit official transcripts.
Examination scores: If a student has not submitted an official score report (if required), e.g., Graduate Records Exam (GRE), English proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) if an international student, and so forth, The Graduate School will place a hold preventing the student’s ability to register.
Before you get started on Registering, take a look at the following links:
- Schedule of classes: https://atlas.montana.edu:9000/pls/bzagent/bzskcrse.PW_SelSchClass
- Course descriptions: http://catalog.montana.edu/coursedescriptions/#L
NOTE: if there are courses with pre-requisite requirements - contact the department offering the course.
Steps to Registering as a Graduate Student:
We want to make registration at MSU a simple process. Step-by-step instructions for our online registration system are provided below; please read and follow each step. Please check this linkfor when graduate students can register.
- Go to www.montana.edu and click on “My Info.” If you do not see "MyInfo" along the top bar- to the right of the MSU logo, select the "students" option in the upper left side of your screen.
- Click on “Log into MyInfo.”
- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS at the top of the MyInfo page!
- Enter your 9-digit Student ID number including the dash (found on your acceptance letter and is an 8-digit number preceded by a dash, example: -01234567).
- Enter your birthday in the following format: two digit day, three letter month, and four digit year (example: January 1, 1990 would be 01jan1990). Be aware of the case-sensitive pin for first time access.
- Re-enter your PIN. (For security purposes, you will be required to change your PIN after your first login.)
- Click on “Student Services.”
- Click on “Registration.”
- Click on "Select Term" and verify that your term of admission is selected; then click "Submit."
- Click on “Add/Drop Classes.”
- Click on “Select Term” and select appropriate term. If in a certificate/degree program and prompted for an Alternate Pin Number, please enter 423185. Do not be confused with the number you used when you logged into MyInfo. This number is used for first time registration ONLY, as it will change every semester. If you have been admitted for a certificate/degree program, you will need to work with your advisor to secure your Alternate Pin for any future terms. Alternate Pins are not required for non-degree only graduate students.
- Find your course(s) by clicking on “Class Search” and add the course(s) to your class schedule by entering the 5-digit Course Registration Number (CRN).
- Recheck your registration for accuracy by clicking on “Student Detail Schedule.”
NetID & Email Address:
Email addresses and NetID's are generated once a graduate student has registered for courses; for undergraduates, this process happens once they have signed up for orientation. For further information, see the links below
As a certificate/non-degree graduate student, you will not need to attend the new graduate student orientation. This orientation is geared for individuals in a degree-seeking graduate program.
The CatCard is your identification card for Montana State University-Bozeman. The CatCard is used as a library card, to enter some buildings and labs, to access Rec. Sports & Fitness Center (when applicable), computer and math labs, student health service and much more. As a new graduate student, you were automatically charged a $15.00 fee. Please take a valid government-issued photo ID with you to the CatCard office. A CatCard cannot be issued without photo verification.
Cost of Courses and Paying your Bill
Please see the following links for information on:
- The cost of graduate courses and associated fees.
- All students need to confirm their bill.
- Additional information on paying your bill.
Deferring your start term:
This request must be made in writing (email or through the admissions portal) to The Graduate School. If approved, a deferral can be for up to one (1) year (two (2) terms, not including summer term).
Steps to completing a certificate at MSU (see link for a quick look at the path to completion).
Link to MSU's Graduate School Policy and Procedures