New Online Students
Congratulations on being admitted to Montana State University - Online!
Please BE SURE to read this entire page as it provides all of your next steps!
In order to complete your application process, you must first accept our offer through
the admissions portal.
This process is not automatic, therefore it may take up to five days to complete this process. After five days, proceed with the instructions to register (located below).
Need assistance with your online registration?
Please go to: Montana State University- Online.
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER for classes UNTIL you clear all holds:
ALL STUDENTS will have an Immunization & Tuberculosis Hold which will prevent registration. If you are taking only online courses and not physically coming to campus, this hold should be automatically moved. However, if you notice the hold has not been removed, please contact Student Health Services at (406) 994-2311 or email at: email@example.com.
- You MAY have a hold if you were admitted with a Conditional Admission (as noted on your decision letter). If so, it may mean that you are missing certain official documents that may inhibit your ability to register, such as:
Transcripts: An official transcript(s) is required by The Graduate School; a hold will be put in place preventing the student’s ability to register. If official transcripts were sent prior to completing your bachelors degree you will be required to submit an additional, official transcript showing the degree conferred with final grades posted. Applicants who are alumni of MSU do not need to submit official transcripts.
Examination scores: If a student has not submitted an official score report (if required), e.g., Graduate Records Exam (GRE), English proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) if an international student, The Graduate School will place a hold preventing the student’s ability to register.
MSU- Required Prevention Education Courses (formally known as: AlcoholEDU/Haven/Transit):
On October 15th, 2014 the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education has mandated all new, incoming students to Montana State University (regardless of age) are required to complete an authorized program in alcohol education, sexual assault awareness and prevention, and financial literacy. Please see this link for information on how you complete this module, dates and deadlines. You will receive an email prompting you to log in and complete this requirement when the courses are open to you. Participation in this program is not an elective; if the modules are not completed in the time allotted, a hold will be placed on your ability to register for the following term.
Steps to Registering as a Graduate Student:
We want to make registration at MSU a simple process. Step-by-step instructions for our online registration system are provided below; please read and follow each step. Please check this link for when graduate students can register.
- Go to www.montana.edu and click on “My Info.” If you do not see "MyInfo" along the top bar- to the right of the MSU logo, select the "students" option in the upper left side of your screen.
- Click on “Log into MyInfo.”
- FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS at the top of the MyInfo page!
- Enter your 9-digit Student ID number including the dash (found on your acceptance letter and is an 8-digit number preceded by a dash, example: -01234567).
- Enter your birthday in the following format: two digit day, three letter month, and
four digit year (example: January 1, 1990 would be 01jan1990). Be aware of the case-sensitive pin for first time access!
- Re-enter your PIN. (For security purposes, you will be required to change your PIN after your first login.)
- Click on “Student Services.”
- Click on “Registration.”
- Click on “Add/Drop Classes.”
- Click on “Select Term” and select appropriate term.
- Enter your Alternate Pin Number: 423185**; do not be confused with the number you used when you logged into MyInfo. This number is used for first time registration ONLY, as it will change every semester. If you have been admitted for a certificate/degree program, you will need to work with your advisor to secure your Alternate Pin for any future terms. **Pins will not be required for the following students: non-degree online only and the National Teachers Enhancement Network).
- Find your course(s) by clicking on “Class Search” and add the course(s) to your class schedule by entering the 5-digit Course Registration Number (CRN).
- Recheck your registration for accuracy by clicking on “Student Detail Schedule.”
Need assistance with your online registration? Please go to: Montana State University- Online.
Below are some direct links to the top asked online questions:
- Tuition, Fees, Financial Aid
- Adding an Online Course
- Dropping a Course
- Pins for Registration
- Don't see what you need? Contact: 406.994.6683 or online.
NetID & Email Address:
Email addresses and NetID's are generated once a graduate student has registered for courses; for undergraduates, this process happens once they have signed up for orientation. For further information, see the links below
Cost of Courses and Paying your Bill
Please see the following links for information on:
- The cost of graduate courses and associated fees.
- All students need to confirm their bill.
- Additional information on paying your bill.
Do you want to defer your start term?
This request must be made in writing to your contact located on this link. If approved, a deferral can be for up to one (1) year or two (2) terms, not including summer term.
Note: Some departments will not allow a newly admitted student to defer their starting term.
As a online-only graduate student, you do not need to attend the new graduate student orientation (held each spring and fall-typically several days before the start of term). This orientation is geared for individuals who are on campus. However, some of the information is covered electronically on our: new graduate student orientation website.
Steps to completing a master's degree (see link for a quick look at the path to completion).
Steps to completing a doctoral degree (see link for a quick look at the path to completion).
Steps to completing a certificate at MSU (see link for a quick look at the path to completion).
Link to MSU's Graduate School Policy and Procedures